Early bay or Late bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BUSPICS020-1.jpg

Both nice but......its the little things :) The late is my friends and i really like it though,but its gotta be Early and being tax exempt helps obviously!! :D

Jailed up said:
BUSPICS020-1.jpg

Both nice but......its the little things :)

Late westy has a better quality interior and a fridge that works ,I am sorry but I would go for your mates ,plus it is RHD... ;)

Late westy has a better quality interior and a fridge that works ,I am sorry but I would go for your mates ,plus it is RHD... ;)[/quote]

Fair play fella... :)

Shock horror, as much as I love my EB, had I had the money at the time, a SPLITTY would now be sat on my drive!!!!!! And one day that will be the case. A bay, early or late, is undoubtably more practical than a split, mine has served me well, I love it to bits, it has taken me and my boy all over and will continue to do so. However, (like a 'but'.....) the split screen bus is a design icon and I love that to bits too, it is where it all started from. I am happy to forego some of the benefits of the bay for the personal pleasure of owning/driving/looking at a split. And yes, I do know what a split is like, I had a '67 Devon many years ago.
But back to the debate, Early Bay every time, cool as a cool thing in a fridge turned up to max!!! Late ones, well, a mate has a '76 in a foul green colour, but I kind of like it for what it is if that makes sense? Crossovers, sorry, but they don't have all the classic/vintage looks of an early and neither the 'whatever it is' that lates have. Neither one thing or the other, nothing wrong, it's an air cooled, but not what I would spend my hard earned on.
Only my light hearted opinion and in no way meant to offend anyone, each to their own.
I simply like old stuff, '40s, '50's, early '60s, thats MY thing!!!!!

Pete B said:
Shock horror, as much as I love my EB, had I had the money at the time, a SPLITTY would now be sat on my drive!!!!!!
I think that goes for a lot of bay owners, fall in love with a split, cant afford one, buy a bay, fall in love with bays.

Thing is after owning a bay for nearly three years and getting into 'the scene' so to speak I just find the appeal of a split gone, they just dont do anything for me anymore, the money they go for just buys you too many better things.

The late westy thing I agree with, I would happily own one, if I was big on camping. I just love the look and feeling about an early though, especially in tintop form.

I do have to disagree with you on the crossover thing though Pete.
Not as vintage looking as the earlier bus but certainly a classic look. The only obvious things that stand out are the rear lights and bigger vents, both present on the lates so I dont get the late preference either myself, just my opinion and I certainly respect yours and others opinions, even the person a while back (early bay owner) who would rather have a T25 than a crossover, I have one of each outside my house and im still baffled by that one. :lol:

What I love about a late where bays are concerned are the superior (imho) type4 engines and the better braking and what I love about the earlies are that the front indicators and bumpers dont look like an after thought.

With a crossover I have the best of both worlds :mrgreen:

wibbler said:
Ever since we got our XO and joined this forum ive been hooked on earlies and I love the 1700 t4 in ours, the torque and power I get from it makes this a very usable bus as do the servo assisted discs so Im happy to have the best of both worlds.
If I was on the market for another bus however I would love a 68 tintop or panel, I would also love a nice doka, that though I would happily drive in latebay form. Those in my opinion look right in any form :D

im looking forwards to driving my XO when it arrives, especially with your description.

power and servo brakes will be very differant to a standard early ( although my westy has a 1914 and bustang discs )

iv always overlooked XOs but im seeing the light, working fridge, double bed up top, the benefits are stacking up

wibbler said:
The only obvious things that stand out are the rear lights and bigger vents,
And the lip on the front wheelarch, the flare on the rear arches and the smaller PCD/ wheel/hubcap, never mind the oh so lovely '68 only cab door handles, wiper arms etc!!! I know, I know, mega picky, but that's me!! I have heard people chatting whilst looking at rows of busses, most cannot see the diference between an early and late bay, and if they can couldn't give a damn. It has even been said to me, 'why have you not sold that old thing and got a nice new shiny one, you can still get new ones you know?'
As I said in my previous post, my personal taste is for older vehicles, but that's just it, MY personal taste. We are all enthusiastic about the same thing, air cooled VW's, the minor differences between models really doesn't matter a bit. I would quote Faux on this, but have no idea where his masterpiece is to be found!
And a good mate of mine has a stupidly fast turbo engined Mini. Lots of money and work gone into it, cracking car, but it's a Mk3 shell with 13'' wheels. Not for me, put the engine in a Mk1 with 10'' rims and that's more my cup of tea!!!

Pete B said:
And the lip on the front wheelarch, the flare on the rear arches and the smaller PCD/ wheel/hubcap,

Plus of course the one year only rear corners and back bumper ;)

Pete B said:
put the engine in a Mk1 with 10'' rims and that's more my cup of tea!!!

But I agree 100% on the above, 10 inch wheels are best imho

Pete B said:
wibbler said:
The only obvious things that stand out are the rear lights and bigger vents,
And the lip on the front wheelarch, the flare on the rear arches and the smaller PCD/ wheel/hubcap, never mind the oh so lovely '68 only cab door handles, wiper arms etc!!!
I just singled out the lights and vents as they are the most obvious, the lip isnt really that obvious and the other bits can be found on a 71 which in my opinion counts as a full blown early.
On the issue if 68s I have to agree with you, I love em, all those one year only bits make them something special and on my wish list for my next project, its a shame so many projects have so many of those unique bits missing :cry: but I will have one some day. In the mean time im well happy with the other unique one year only bay out there ;)

And on the issue of Minis, Have to be 10". Those 13s make em look like scalextric cars :lol: