Early Westfalia questions?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dean_butler

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, calling all Early Westfalia experts. Couple of things I have noticed that was wondering the answer to...

1. Why did some have mustard interior and some grey? Was it a year or area thing?

2. Is it true that Montana Red was used from 68-70 and Chianti was used only in 71?

3. Why do some westfalia's have deluxe like silver around the air intake on front?
Was this a westfalia deluxe feature (like you get deluxe bus's) or is this something that has been added? If so would it have been added back in 68-71 or something that is more added these days?

4. On same note as above why do some have deluxe trim all way round? I think this is not an original feature but wish to now Im correct for sure? Would there have been deluxe trim around windows too?

5. Tyre on the front. Why do some have tyres on front and some have them at side of RnR bed?
Could you choose between two models? Any further info on this would be appreciated.
Is there a different layout depending on if you have tyre on front? Eg space (cut out) different in foam round bed?

Please feel free to add any further facts you think may be of interest.
Thanks so much
Dean

Hmm.....

answer to question number 5 should be..... Early bays have their spare wheel at the side of the R&R bed in the back, I think its only late bays that have them on the front.

Hope that helps!

Dont think they came with any delux trim, been added later i think! ( until someone comes along and shoots me down in flames lol )
;)

All came in mustard vinyl. I'm only aware of one van with grey vinyl and that has been dyed or painted grey.

Spare wheels were all in the back, just some owners chose to create space and bolt them into the front.

A westy typically had no deluxe trim, it was either added as a special order from new or, more likely, has been added along the way.

Not sure about the red options. I guess The Samba will show that.

Have seen plenty of west's with grey interior. Seem to be either grey or mustard. Personally a fan of the mustard but just wonder why some are grey? Seem to be half and half with wheel on front. Also seems if the wheel is on the front then the back cushion dosnt have the cut out shape for the spare wheel?

dean_butler said:
Have seen plenty of west's with grey interior. Seem to be either grey or mustard. Personally a fan of the mustard but just wonder why some are grey? Seem to be half and half with wheel on front. Also seems if the wheel is on the front then the back cushion dosnt have the cut out shape for the spare wheel?

Any pics of the grey ones? Honestly the ex-Matt Keene now owned by Greg (flat eric) is the only one Ive ever seen, and its dyed/painted over mustard.

Ive also never seen a cushion that fills the entire rear of the rear bed/loading area. I have an additional wedge cushion that fits the gap, but again, there does seem to be some lack of substance that these were ever an official Westfalia item and were items that were made up.

:)

dean_butler said:
1. Why did some have mustard interior and some grey? Was it a year or area thing?

2. Is it true that Montana Red was used from 68-70 and Chianti was used only in 71?

Thanks so much
Dean

Upholstery - do you mean the cab seat and door panels, or the camping interior?

Checked the Samba, montana red was 68-70, then chianti red.

Perfect example here as this van has a spare wheel on front so doesn't have the cut out in foam in back for spare wheel...
timthumb2.jpeg

Grey interior. Why did some have grey?
timthumb1.jpeg

timthumb3.jpeg

Trim on front grill and trim all around also on windows? Has this been added or where there some deluxe models?
Trim.jpg

Trim2.jpg

Showing where spare goes in back and that space of foam is cut for wheel...
Spare1.jpg

Spare2.jpg

I don't think the grey is original, cushions don't look OG. You can also see where they have laid a piece of wood to cover the wheel well.

67westy said:
I don't think the grey is original, cushions don't look OG. You can also see where they have laid a piece of wood to cover the wheel well.

Well spotted on the wood to cover wheel well. Didn't see that. So every Westfalia has a wheel well?
Did they all have the badge on from and wheel in back when purchased new from dealers then had it modified to wheel on front? Or could you choose from wheel in back and wheel on front options?

timthumb2.jpeg

Yeah, thats all completely unoriginal.

I'm pretty sure every Westy would have the spare wheel well, and no wheel on the front as standard. :)

Not all had the wheel well. The oslo? had a non walk through cab with spare underneath it.
Full width bed as well.
You could get a plaid fabric if you bought a euro bus in this style i have a pic somewhere.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mattyd72 said:
Not all had the wheel well. The oslo? had a non walk through cab with spare underneath it.
Full width bed as well.
You could get a plaid fabric if you bought a euro bus in this style i have a pic somewhere.

True. I get used to just considering the US westy's. The Euro versions were different.

mattyd72 said:
Full width bed as well.

Thanks buddy for helping. I guess I'm thinking only US Westy. Should try and understand the whole picture.
Be good if there where some brochures people had with all different Westy's from 68-71 both US and Euro

Clem said:
mattyd72 said:
Full width bed as well.

True. I get used to just considering the US westy's. The Euro versions were different.

Yes same as :)

My bus started life as a sunroof deluxe and then had a westy roof fitted a few years ago.
It therefore has the belt line trim and the front grill trim too.
Best of both worlds! ;)

Bundy said:
My bus started life as a sunroof deluxe and then had a westy roof fitted a few years ago.
It therefore has the belt line trim and the front grill trim too.
Best of both worlds! ;)

Nice. Yes guessed there where vans out there that have been converted. Just interested in finding the story about how they where from factory and if you could have deluxe trim added from factory?

TTT.

Still lots of questions unanswered. If anyone can help fix this puzzle would be greatly appreciated. Maybe some research into brochures is needed?

Latest posts