EB Wiring Looms

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a rather tough decision we decided to go with VWLooms. Mainly because I had spoken to the guy, and also seen the quality at Dubfreeze.

Hopefully it should be here next week!

Went for a full loom, 2 extra wires for guages, split charge system built in, and all new leads and earth straps. I'll let you know what I think when it turns up!

Thanks for keeping us updated dude!

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Any updates on this? ....Looking to get mine done in the coming weeks....I'm pushing it, but before EBI5 would be my ideal result :roll:
Thats as well as some frontal damage repair :lol:

Foz said:
Any updates on this? ......

Well I couldn't wait any longer for the reply that never came :? I have placed an order with 'VW Looms' also....should be here Monday or Tuesday this week all being well.......

Foz said:
Foz said:
Any updates on this? ......

Well I couldn't wait any longer for the reply that never came :? I have placed an order with 'VW Looms' also....should be here Monday or Tuesday this week all being well.......

Foz,

Sorry I didn't come back to this. What with other life commitments, the resto, and the forum being down most of last week and forgetting to do it last night. I did plan on having a word at Stanford Hall, but you were always talking to someone else already! I went and met Graham and Pete B and came back, and you were still chatting! Then the day ran out and I had to hurry off and pick bits up.

I don't know if you saw him at Stanford or not? But I am very happy with the quality. I haven't fitted mine yet, just opened up the box to have a look. It seems very well built, and the conversaions I've had with Jon he was very helpful.

Based on what I know currently, they would definately get my recommendation. I will try and remember to get some pics up tonight.

Ok, as promised albeit too late for Foz...but it may help others!

The two packs I received. Basically, it is the main loom through the chasis, another loom that connnects from the fuse box to the dash cluster, headlight/indicater loom. I then added 2 extra wires for guages if I decide to get some later down the line, new battery leads and earth straps and then added a split charge system which I think came with a 70a fuse/relay type thing :)

A close up of I think it was the headlight loom. I did try to keep my hand as steady as I could...maybe it was too close. Hopefully you will see the connections well enough. All the wires are colour coded to original spec and you get a double A4 laminated print out of the wiring diagram. It is in German however as it seems that an english RHD diagram doesn't exist!

I haven't got round to fitting it yet as I still have some welding to do. But hopefully it will go swimmingly!

As a side note, I've had a couple of people (professionals), comment that most fires ultimately start with electrics! Might be worth remembering this if you are deciding about whether to replace your loom or not :)

Cheers fella, sorry we didnt get to chat, as you said i was pretty busy at times. Did go looking for their stall but didn't find him.... looks a decent bit of kit. Mine should have been delivered today, but alas nothing. Will chase it up with Jon tomorrow.

I did see your bus going up and down out the corner of my eye. Very impressive machine you've built yourself there :) Loved it even more in person.

Would it have been delivered today though, as I can't imagine a courier collecting it on a Sunday? EDIT: I guess it was sent on Friday :oops:

You will definately be installing yours before I do mine, so I will keep a futher eye on your build thread for tips :D

"As a side note, I've had a couple of people (professionals), comment that most fires ultimately start with electrics! Might be worth remembering this if you are deciding about whether to replace your loom or not :)"

I'll second that!

Lost my headlights on the M5 last week on way to Cornwall. The next thing, the cab filled with smoke, hence a quick evacuation of the family onto the hard shoulder at 3:30 in the morning :cry:

Wiring loom under dash all burnt.

RAC man thought he might fix it, pulled at the wires to see extent of damage and nearly set the bloody bus on fire, glowing red hot like a toaster element. Luckily I have a battery kill switch, so managed to run to rear and isolate the power source before she blew.

Hence, I was recovered home, holiday in ruins and got the insurance inspector coming on Friday to assess. Guess it'll be a new loom.

I know nothing about wiring looms and different types :?:

Any recommendation appreciated

Your looking at around £350 for a loom pal, then about the same again to have it fitted.
Speak to Jon @ VWLooms a very helpful guy who will put you right on exactly what you will need. Glad to hear your bus didnt go up in flames fella. Spurned me on even more to get mine done asap!! My loom is Currently sitting in the corner of the conservatory, lol

Foz said:
Your looking at around £350 for a loom pal, then about the same again to have it fitted.
Speak to Jon @ VWLooms a very helpful guy who will put you right on exactly what you will need. Glad to hear your bus didnt go up in flames fella. Spurned me on even more to get mine done asap!! My loom is Currently sitting in the corner of the conservatory, lol

Cheers mate, bloody scared me, but count ourselves lucky.

I'll wait to see what's happening with the insurance, then I'll give vwlooms a bell.

Glad everyone was ok!!

As a positive (if there is one), is that it wasn't just a selling ploy. There can be fires caused by wiring.

As Foz said, Jon is a real nice guy and very helpful/friendly. I had a change of plan when to do mine but even still he was very accomdating to my speedy request and it was with me in just under a week! Even with all the added extras.

I do think VWLooms was the most expensive of the bunch but as far as service goes, it's top notch. I also think it's great quality.

Appreciate your comments, cheers

I'll update you guys once the insurance have assessed on Friday.

Seriously considering swapping the car for a T5, so we can still camp and have time to do a total resto on our Westy.

Insurance assessor came this morning. Pinned the blame on headlight switch, poor insulation on terminal blocks.
Insurance won't pay out cos it's an electrical fault and didn't cause any consequential damage.
In other words, they won't pay for the wiring, but if it had set fire to the van, then they would pay out.
Seems crazy, they won't pay for a new loom, but if I had stood back and let the bugger burn, they'd be happy to pay the agreed value!
It could have cost them £11k, but I've saved the bus and now they don't want to know about a few hundred quid.
It's a good job the bus means more to me than money!

That seems crazy! I've never understood the way insurance companies work, not just with vehicles but with everything. Some seem to be backwards.

But at least the cost of the repair is minimal to what it could have been!

Also, the loom comes in two sorta thing. You have a pack, then a tube. The pack is everything from the engine up, and the tube is from the fusebox to the dash cluster. Could it be worth just asking for the loom bits that you actually need? Or are you thinking to just replace the whole thing?

Not sure on Foz's reasons for getting a new loom, but I got one for the main reason that the one I have could potentially be 40 years old, and who knows what others have done in the mean time. I had a change of plan, so I haven't started with mine yet, so I still cannot comment on if it is 100% right, or even if it works. But there has been nothing to make me think that there will be a problem yet :)

I've had no choice but to get a full loom, my wiring is atrocious and very unsafe as it stands...I have had 3 people who have worked on the bus comment on how bad the wiring is! I recently lost my back lights, 1 brake light, and now the indicators are playing up. Alarm not working too! Mine is a pretty desperate situation to get sorted asap, before the inevitable happens
Booked in to see an auto electrician on Saturday, with the view of work to commence next week!

Any updates?

Also does the new loom use the original fuse box (I've got the orange bakelite one that vw did for 6 months) or does it require a new one?

If it's a new one, is it more like a 71 fuse box or a straight replacement of the 70?

Did you get this done in the end whistler?
I ended up not using mine, the auto electrician suggested just a tidy up and rewire where necessary, as my original loom is in very good condition!
So as vw looms dont exchange for a refund I now have my loom up for sale. ... £50 cheaper and never been out the packaging!!
Tempted to keep it for the future, as I'm sure my bus will need it one day!!

-------------------------------
Own a Bay?.......Feel the Love!!

Not yet. Still on with the seemingly never ending welding. Had to add a new front panel, and now rear corners and battery trays :(

I am hoping in the next month or so, as soon as the underside is painted then I will be sticking it in.

Shame about yours, I read on your thread. I guess if the electrician said yours is good then I'd trust him! Can say that at £50 cheaper someone is going to get a bargain! Although I've not installed it, from the look of it there won't be any issues. Looks to be very good quality.

Famous last words eh?! Probably going to have no end of issues with mine now :lol:

Latest posts