Wiring loom advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

purpledog07

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Danbury combi
Hi guys, making my own wiring harness/ loom to replace the knackered old stuff with. Also want to include reverse and fog lamp wiring and maybe add optional spot light/driving lamp wiring for future addition.
Have any of you guys done the same?
Does anyone have measurements for cable lengths? I don't really want to pull out the old until the new is ready to fit.
Anyone know of good cable suppliers in the UK or anywhere where O.G colours can be sourced?
I know of Autosparks, VWP and Auto Electric Supplies.
Any help much appreciated.

I think with fifty year old wiring, this is on most people’s tooo dooo list. It sounds like you’re more in tune than I would be with wiring. I’ve got myself under the illusion possibly that newer wiring and terminals would help more than hinder the one candlepower headlights I have at present. My wish list on re wiring would also include a little extra length on the dash wires and to have a multi connector for the dash wires to keep it as easy as poss to get in and out and the same in the noisy cupboard for the motor and noisy hatch. That would really simplify popping the motor in and out and dash too for dim wits like myself. Maybe add a spur up the air intake ready for possible future solar additions :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,sorry I can’t supply more practical help:)

I think with fifty year old wiring, this is on most people’s tooo dooo list. It sounds like you’re more in tune than I would be with wiring. I’ve got myself under the illusion possibly that newer wiring and terminals would help more than hinder the one candlepower headlights I have at present. My wish list on re wiring would also include a little extra length on the dash wires and to have a multi connector for the dash wires to keep it as easy as poss to get in and out and the same in the noisy cupboard for the motor and noisy hatch. That would really simplify popping the motor in and out and dash too for dim wits like myself. Maybe add a spur up the air intake ready for possible future solar additions :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,sorry I can’t supply more practical help:)
Nice 1. I already replaced the charging/starter and battery cables and recrimped and untangled the rest a bit.
Changed up for an alternator so beefed up the cables a bit too.
All the lights are newish and quality units. Headlamps have osram nightbreaker bulbs i think. Loads of light on the road, but they could be better.
Some of the smaller cables are in a bad way and some are just too short now to follow a neat route, others replaced with odd colours over the years.
It starts from a button due to a P.O rewire when the ignition switch failed. Replaced the switch but the cables were all wrong by then.
I've added a front and rear fog which are yet to be wired up + hungry radio and want cable run in for other options like spots, gauges or fancy gizmos. So the harness will be less likely to need disturbing for later additions.
A second power feed for all the extras.
The multiplug/s for the dash is something i considered, but maybe repositioning the existing one that connects to some of the rear cables and adding another for the rest. Then there would just be the wiper motor, speakers and all the other random small cables and earths to disconnect. To be fair, the dash doesn't come out that often.
My only real concern in this is adding more connections increases resistance and can short if wet or corrode over time. For the cabes running to the rear it makes sense.
I am a qualified mechanic but have worked for years installing, warranty, retrofit and commissioning marine engineering systems on luxury yachts. Wiring is day to day but nothing like the old VW stuff, and nothing as big as the bus harness.

12 Volt Planet for cables.
Thanks, i'll give them a try.
I did find somewhere in England that makes cable in all sizes and can tracer stripe it lengthways, or spiral like original and in just about any colour.
The only catch is it's expensive and only sold by the 100M to order.

Too expensive. My spare time is free, i don't sleep much, and i need to be doing something.
Plus, if i save enough on the things i can do well, i may be able to get someone with a workshop to do some of the welding.
I've priced the cables, oversized and including additions, and it's under £160 for the lot. This will reduce as i have all black and red sizes already. I have most of the correct style crimps, connectors, tape, sleeving, and tools + skills to do it.
The bus is on my drive. It's too cold and wet to weld or work outdoors for long so...

Anyone know where i can get a reasonably priced "flag" crimping tool?

I've had my bus for years and done everything myself so far, maybe taking a photo or two once in a while. Thinking of documenting this project properly as it may really help others on the forum.

I tend to put a dab of solder on crimp joints just to make sure, also I fitted relays to the ignition/starter circuits to stop volts drop . Details in build thread under Spliffy the panel. Vehicle Wiring Services for me, they have everything.

Too expensive. My spare time is free, i don't sleep much, and i need to be doing something.
Plus, if i save enough on the things i can do well, i may be able to get someone with a workshop to do some of the welding.
I've priced the cables, oversized and including additions, and it's under £160 for the lot. This will reduce as i have all black and red sizes already. I have most of the correct style crimps, connectors, tape, sleeving, and tools + skills to do it.
The bus is on my drive. It's too cold and wet to weld or work outdoors for long so...

Anyone know where i can get a reasonably priced "flag" crimping tool?

I've had my bus for years and done everything myself so far, maybe taking a photo or two once in a while. Thinking of documenting this project properly as it may really help others on the forum.
Fair enough!
Totally understand. I went the other way - paid for a loom but up for having a go at everything else!!

I have original lengths of used wires
I'm fitting all new cables but the measured length of some might help to be sure i'm not cutting it too short when ordering.
Whereabouts are you? or if you are just keen to help, and have a tape measure, i really only need to check a few lengths.

How much? Was it all the wiring for the bus? and was it just the harness/looms or including relays or mods?
I replaced every wire in the bus with new.
Inc relays.
And a number of bespoke requirements such as multi battery charging, hard start relay etc.
just under £500
IMG_8940.jpeg

Inc relays.
And a number of bespoke requirements such as multi battery charging, hard start relay etc.
just under £500
View attachment 7266
That's a good deal TBF. I am adding a start and maybe ign. live relay as suggested. Split charge will come later.

Inc relays.
just under £500
View attachment 7266
Assuming all genuine wire colours used. That's a really good price, i haven't priced in the charging/starter cables, as i've already replaced them, or the copex, sleevinv or heatshrink. Even making the loom yourself you couldn't purchase that lot for under £400. Well done.

Hi guys, making my own wiring harness/ loom to replace the knackered old stuff with. Also want to include reverse and fog lamp wiring and maybe add optional spot light/driving lamp wiring for future addition.
Have any of you guys done the same?
Does anyone have measurements for cable lengths? I don't really want to pull out the old until the new is ready to fit.
Anyone know of good cable suppliers in the UK or anywhere where O.G colours can be sourced?
I know of Autosparks, VWP and Auto Electric Supplies.
Any help much appreciated.
I see you've included it but I get my wiring stuff from Vehicle Wiring Products - never had to go anywhere else. I always buy multipacks and more wire than I need, just in case!

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/
You can get most stuff you'll need - and loads of other stuff that you don't but looks useful, so will just have to be bought!

In all seriousness buy decent crimpers from them. If you have to use the pre-insulated red/blue things get a decent ratchett crimper, not cheap but worth it. If you're using the standard 6.3mm spade connectors, get one of theirr crimpers. The job can be done with pliers but it's a lot neater and secure with the proper tool - it's not that expensive if you're doing a lot (you will be...)

Got more quality crimpers than i need due to my work and previous work on vehicle electrics. The only ones i never had was flag crimpers, just ordered some for next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts