Engine builder?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's not near to Gatwick but the only guys I would use for engine builds is Aircooled Engineering in Birmingham.
http://ace-vw.com/site/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fantastic setup and great guy

yes, Mark Prosser, Auto technics
Langley bottom farm
Langley Vale
01372 878 464

Built my 1914 engine three years ago, no problems

there was no split in labour/materials. they gave me some options and i made a choice. They did build it and fit it though which makes sense (single point responsibility) although not all people go this route. It also depends on what they may re-use from your engine (not much but I had a 123 dizzy, st steel exhaust and some other bits) but the vasty majority were new. It was about £6-7K from memory so not cheap. However, it turned out I had a single port with twin port heads so they couldn't re-use the fan housing, oil cooler etc nor heat exchangers which i kept, so had to spend more on these unexpectedly.

Worth it to me. Helps that they are quite close to me too I suppose but i would travel for the right people anyway. Give them a call although it is the show/summer holiday season so they are often away at this time of year.

Al

https://www.facebook.com/Autotechniks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for more info. Looking at this my engine is now 4 1/2 years old, time passes so quickly, it's in this link way back as Al's engine..sav beige camper

No it's not balls out, it's built for torque really. It's by no means a racer. They are heavy lumps remember.

My brief was I wanted to be able to cruise at a decent speed, 65 mph (does go faster but wouldn't like to drive too often at more) climb hills without losing too much speed, in a fully laden camper with me, mrs and three kids. That's what Mark recommended. That's what I got. If you've got less load then you could think about a 1776 but really this is still all about the other components like cam, rockers, porting/flowing heads etc. Alex from VWH had a 1776 Autotechniks engine and it flew. So really it is what you want, how you drive it etc. I think the extra costs aren't that great in this range of engine to move up a few cc's, when you start going 2110 + then I think you are in a different ballgame.

The price did include alot of other bits and pieces, ie balancing, new weber 40 carbs plus more but not a taller geared gearbox, which I also got at the same time.

Good luck with it anyway you go.
Al

I can vouch for Autotechniks, I brought Alex's old 1776, and it's still going strong, goes really well too.

Latest posts