engine re build

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chill 71

Reaction score
Bugga, blew me engine up on saturday :cry: I had been to Leicester in the morning to meet Matt from Luton, who bought me Westy bed n wardrobe to put into his very tasty early bay, hope your happy with it mate. Anyway, before I set off back I topped the oil up, cos its been using tons of oil, spraying it all over the back of the bus, and I cant see where its coming from! :evil: After loading up with stuff for the weekend away in Selby, set off but only got as far as the A1M junction on the M18 when it started to rattle a bit, then a lot, pulled over, called AA etc etc :cry: So my mate, and VW guru came round and had a look, and listen and diagnosed BIG END failure :( I started to dissmantle the back end ready to pull the engine for a re build only to discover me exhaust is knacked as well (hence the back firing :oops: ) Any advice on engine re building, bits to buy, bits NOT to buy,anyone got a cheap standard exhaust for a 1600 tp,or any other bits etc etc.
Cheers.

Chill 8)

Hiya chill,

The first thing you should do is take your buggered engine completely apart. You will have parts that you will be able to reuse and you may have some parts that will need replacing. You need to know which are good and which are bad before you start drawing up a shopping list. And along those lines you need to develop a really good relationship with the chaps at your local machine shop. If you are doing your own rebuild (and especially if this is your first rebuild) these guys can be a lifesaver for you. They can tell you what can be reused, what needs machining, and what needs to be tossed.

Hiya Chill,

VeeDub has spoken grave words of wisdom.

I cannot imagine anyone building a VW engine engine on their first try without Tom Wilson's book. Absolutely a must have. In fact, quit reading this right now, drop anything else that you're doing and run out (but put your pants on first) and get a copy of that book.

Right then, we have pulled my engine out and taken it completely to pieces and this is what I have found. The heads, barrels and pistons are all brand new,(which I Knew) and all OK Phew!!! The bearings are, as we thought, all knacked!
It seems a few things have led to all this. My lack of understanding of all things VW, :oops: (hot zone / cold zone) there was some tin ware wrongly fitted, some missing, some being the wrong type. The fan is the wrong one, ie the small one!! As is the oil cooler!!! Also the fact that she lost oil all the time meant, she never had enough oil in her etc etc but I am learning. :roll:
I now need to find a machine shop to re grind my crank and crank case. Can anyone recommend one? I live in Kiveton Park, just outside Sheffield so somewhere around Sheffield, Chesterfield, Worksop would be good.

Cheers

Chill 8)

I think JH Aircooled move to near Derby if that helps. I can't recommended the new guy
cos I don't know him but the old owner was sound enough - if a little eccentric.

Cheers

james

Latest posts