Fitting New Canvas To Devon Pop Top HELP please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jp

Reaction score
OK I had a bespoke Canvas made for my Devon Poptop (well the base surround bit is Devon, Not sure what conversion the top bit is off) in modern materials with some zip out windows on the sides.

I've taken the top off and stapled and screwed that in place

poptop.jpg

Now when I removed the original vinyl many many years ago I chiseled the tops off the rivets and pulled the metal stips off to get the Bellows free. This has left me with a load of sticky up bits of rivets which I need to remove to put new ones in. I've tried punching them through but I'm guessing there is wood up behind them? Also tried drilling them out but thats not to easy with them sticking proud of the pop top base. So what to do really.. grind them flat and punch/drill out? will removing the cap from the van help me?

poptop2.jpg

Any advice or pointers on what best to do and any how to's on fititng the canvas much appreciated.

JP

I'm not sure if they were rivets from the factory? Either way, mine now has woodscrews fitted, which i thought would be a better option than trying to rivet into fibreglass, as you say, there's some big lumps of oak underneath the fibreglass frame. I think the only way you're going to get the remains out without drilling the holes any bigger is going to be to remove the frame from the van. At least you'll have a blank canvas for whichever fixings you go for in future where yu're not going to hit the remains of an old rivet.

Hmmm wondered if that might be the case... Do you know if it is easy to remove the oak or is it seriously bonded in?

Thanks for your help.

Someone else might know - I never got as far as removing the fibreglass when I refurbished mine!

On closer inspection they were in fact screws I must have drilled the heads off 10 years ago when I did it.

Anyway I ended up grinding them off and flipping the ali strips that hold the canvas down so holes were offset and pilot drilling a new set of holes.

Managed to get front and back screwed down before I ran out of time

Poptop_4.jpg

Now wondering if I have put poptop on wrong as it was a PITA to get it down NEW thread started here in hope someone might have the same roof and tell me where there mounts are attached.

Latest posts