• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE Erde single wheel trailer soooo rare!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
Want to own a genuinely rare classic 50's/60's period accessory to hitch up to your VW?

This beautiful little single wheel trailer has been in storage and is now being offered for sale.it really turns heads as it so cute.you can see people looking at it as they drive by thinking "how does that work?" well actually its quite simple,all you need is a standard tow bar.I have the adapter plate to go with it,so in theory you could put it behind a montego,focus or Sierra,however,we can all see that it really belongs behind a classic Volkswagen!

Its with heavy heart that I put this old girl up for sale.

I have never seen another like it,and I know that once its gone,I'll never get it back.I can only find another two in existance and according to my hours of trawling through the internet and such resources as singlewheel.com and thesamba, they are rarer than a rare thing with extra rareness!

Due to its uniquness,I know little about it,but from my reseach,I know they were manufactured by ERDE (still a well known trailer manufacturer today) I think between 1950 - 1960.It is tubular steel framed with aluminium panels,coil spring suspension.It originally came with no lights at all,because its so small & cute,you can still see the vehicle lights when following behind,even on a beetle.however it really helped having the little extra storage space when camping or going to shows.

I didn't want some kid in a corsa going into my back end so I fitted some period bsa bantam lights as they combined the stop/tail & number plate light whilst still being small enough to look right.I have fitted hidden subtle led indicator lights under the rear edge but once again,the car or bus lights are easily seen.you could easily remove should you wish.

The biggest question I get asked is "how does it attach to the vehicle?" Well,the erde uses an adapter plate that mounts to a standard tow bar,much like a bicycle carrier.However it needs to be the type where the standard 50mm ball bolts through a mounting plate.So, if let's say you have that,well all that you would need to do is unbolt the ball hitch from the towbar,position the adapter plate in its place,then lining up the holes,replace the ball hitch back in front of the adapter plate and bolt back up, in effect,sandwiching the adapter plate between the ball hitch and the tow bar.the trailer then bolts up to the adapter plate allowing lateral and vertical movement.I used to leave the adapter plate on as it didn't get in the way & I could use the single wheeler or a standard trailer.it also has a standard 12N wiring harness.

The lid is a hinged tubular frame with a fixed canvas cover.It will defiantly get some attention at the shows,equally if not more than my bus did.you don't see many of the more (by comparison) common american swivel wheel trailers so this fixed wheel version draws much interest! its really light,a touch heavier than a wheel barrow and the beauty of it is you can just bob the car into reverse and it just goes "ok..that way".it has two spung loaded pistons that take up any directional movement left to right,however there are swinglocks that can make the connection between the vehicle and trailer totally rigid."how does it go round corners?" is another one.well it simply gets drawn around the corner,much like the rear most wheels on a HGV trailer,however there is hardly any weight so the trailer is quite stable and just follows the line of the vehicle.

I also fitted a rare 'jadet' mudflap to match my bus which looks pretty cool.
I couldn't believe my luck when I found this a few years ago,it had come over from france via a 2CV enthusiast and I brought it home in the back of a Vectra estate. If you wanted it sprayed to match the colour of your VW,its easy enough to disassemble as its all bolts.

Given the rarity and asking price of westfalia trailers,I feel this is priced accordingly....you will not see another,let alone get this opportunity to buy one.I've been offered good money in the past and never wanted to let it go.Now,although not in a rush,for family reasons,I have to let her go.

Given the cool factor,practicality,rarity.... I would like the trailer to go to someone who appreciates it.It will only appreciate in value..You could own this ultimate period accessory and nobody else will have one! This trailer is featured on http://www.singlewheel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As there is no precedent set for these rare beasts coming up for sale,as they simply do not,the next nearest available trailer of vintage and style in my opinion is a Westy trailer so I've put an asking price at £1,500 however,I'm more than happy to listen to genuine offers.

located in Crewe, Cheshire,UK.viewing of course welcome! Pics to follow......

Erdetrailerrepainted.jpg

Erdetrailerrepainted7.jpg

Erdetrailerrepainted5.jpg

Erdetrailerrepainted6.jpg

Erdetrailerrepainted4.jpg

Erdetrailerrepainted2.jpg

Erdetrailerrepainted8.jpg

Erdetrailerrepainted3.jpg

2012-08-05110411.jpg

Doristrailer3.jpg

Doristrailer1-1.jpg

Doristrailer.jpg