front discs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimthebin

Reaction score
dear all

after a few near misses with people pulling out on me i have been thinking of fitting front discs to the van.

i want nothing fancy and don't want to pay to much what is the best way of going about this

thanks in advance

jimthebin

The front brake set up from a later bay, this will mean going to a 112 PCD (narrow 5) meaning you will also have to do something with the back end or you will end up with odd wheels.
Failing that i think most people are talking about futbus (?) brake system.
Try a search....

i have had the same people pulling out in front of you,standing in the middle of road
waving there arms around trying to get you stop, had enough so its booked with futbus for
the 26 may ;)

robins said:
i have had the same people pulling out in front of you,standing in the middle of road
waving there arms around trying to get you stop, had enough so its booked with futbus for
the 26 may ;)

Oh very nice Rich, interested to see how you get on with this........Never had a issue stopping with my drums - though just been lucky i guess.......

The Futbus option does look good - nice to retain the Wide 5.

Cheers!

Alistair

fut bus conversion looks great but i haven't got got the money but my mate has got a few late bays i can have parts off

so if i convert to discs, what is the best way to keep my wide 5?? do adaptor plates push the wheels out alot?

alsp if i convert should i also add a servo or it is too much hassal for what you gain??

thanks

If you do fo for the later bay set up then i think you will have to use adapters to keep your wide 5 wheels.
They increase track by whatever the thickness of the adapters are, To be totally honest though, most poeple are happy running with drum front brakes as long as they are properly adjusted.
I quite often think about trying to convert my narrow 5 set up to a wide 5 set up but keeping with discs

Guys,

I also want front disc brakes on my '68. Is there no way to modify the post '70 disc brakes so they fit the pre '70???
Why should we pay £££££ just to get disc brakes?
I want to keep my wide-5 also.

The CSP kits are way too expensive for us now in the financial crisis :)

Hopefully someone will come along later but i think only cheap option would be later bay set up with adapters, although adapters cost around £100 a pair and with the price of the set up you might be better off getting the futbus set up

i've heard of csp front brake conversions, altough their price is steep (£800!) you can still retain that wide five stud pattern but the only snag is that it fits bays up to 1970 with a king link pin axle. I'm not sure if bays that early were fitted with king link pins or that they had been converted. But if they had been converted it could prove very costly.

I have the csp set up and they are easy o fit and work great.

I know there are cheaper ways but there is not an easy way. They include all of the parts needed and are clinically packaged - a novice could do it.

The CSP will fit straight on to a Ball joint spindle, with no modifications. the same kit will also fit a late king and link pin spindle.

When you convert to discs you should change the master cylinder to a disc brake non servo master cylinder (Unless you are adding a servo)

I have fitted four of the CSP kits now and I am amazed at how easy they are to fit and the quality of the parts.

froggy said:
If you do fo for the later bay set up then i think you will have to use adapters to keep your wide 5 wheels.
They increase track by whatever the thickness of the adapters are, To be totally honest though, most poeple are happy running with drum front brakes as long as they are properly adjusted.
I quite often think about trying to convert my narrow 5 set up to a wide 5 set up but keeping with discs

I know that the adapters wich are sold by VW Heritage will increase track by 10 mm on each side.
I also would love to change to wide 5 set up. Would there be any trouble?

Guys,
Can i fit late bay spindle (with disc brakes) on my new wagenwest beam? The beam has a brakes servo braket on it also...
In other words, can i take everything from spindle and out from a late bay bu up to '79, and put it on the '69?
Thanks

davelarue said:
Guys,
Can i fit late bay spindle (with disc brakes) on my new wagenwest beam? The beam has a brakes servo braket on it also...
In other words, can i take everything from spindle and out from a late bay bu up to '79, and put it on the '69?
Thanks

yes.

i fitted a late bay setup from the spindle to my 71 as the old calipers and discs were knackered. I was going to switch it to my creative beam and trial fitted with no problems (i think im gonna sell it now, i like the red 9 wishbone) the wagenwest beam would be similar.

davelarue said:
Guys,
Thanks
Yes just done this, look in the gallery section for my bus
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11772&start=40

Fantastic.
I'v bought everything from spindle and out (with spindles) from a '79 bus.
My Wagenwest beam comes with a brakeservo bracket...:)

Two questions:
Is this all a direct bolt on to this wagenwest beam?
What parts do i have to buy to make the brakeservo work?

Latest posts