Front shift rod problem.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j.nathan

Reaction score
After fitting adjusters to my front beam i find that in close to stock position, the nyloc nut on my upper adjuster fouls my front shift rod.
In the lowered position it is fortunately clear.
The answer, for me, is to slightly re-shape the shift rod.
Anybody else come across this problem?

i had the same prob and just slightly bent the shift rod to acomadate ,as a bonus this seemed to make my gear change better :?

I've never understood why people lower vans with all the problems it causes, for the privilege of being able to go less places.

its all about the look, not being practical, or at least it will be for me when i get some more money :D i dont have heaters but i will drive my van in the coldest winters with snow, never be practical lifes to easy if you are...hehe

Lowering is always going to be a contentious issue, some will always prefer a stock bus - but it's not for me... I prefer my vehicles (all of them) nice and low because I think they look better and are more stable (I won't claim to have better 'handling' because even a low bus will still 'handle' like a pig in real terms).

I do take your point about the 'go anywhere' benefits of a stock bus, but mine will be driven (99% of the time) on flat, even good roads - I figure I'll go as low as I dare and if it works out it's too low I'll raise :shock: it a bit!
My old beetle was so low it ended up balanced like a see-saw when I drive it up a kerb once!!! :lol:

At the end of the day it's these differences that make being part of the VW scene so good - each to their own, live and let live blah, blah, blah...

;)

I like lowered vans as I hate when you get blown all over the motorway by trucks and coaches. Lowering reduces this and looks sick aswell! :wink:

I like the look of lowered buses more than stock. But i will never lower mine, just for the fact i'm trying to preserve her just the way she came of the assembly and out of the devon workshop. I don't want a show bus, but i want it just the way she was, preserving a little bit of her history.

But when i get my hands on another bus after this one is restored, it'll be slammed, pearlescent, a set of fat 17"s and a stainless steel system. :twisted:

Latest posts