Front Spindles Nuts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rippers

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a silly question but I can't seem to find an answer (that I understand :oops: )

When fitting the front drums, put the bearings in slide on the thrust washer and spin the nut with the allen key on.. now I understand that you have to set up the clearance but how exactly do you do this.. in layman terms :oops: I've searched and read all my books and I'm still not sure.. some I've read say tighten up turning the wheel then turn the nut back half a turn, one gave a torque measurement which I would say would be impossible to get with the bay window securing nut, some give a clearance measurement but don't explain what you actually need to measure and the VW manual shows some fancy tool the screws into the drum hole but ain't nobody got a tool like that :lol:

So far I've been tightening up as hard as I can turning the wheel as I do it, then losen the nut until the wheel spins freely, but I have a feeling thats not the way to go

Hey Rippers,

I think you have the weird looking nut that has an allen bolt on the side, right?

The way I adjusted it was tighten the nut by hand then check the movement of the washer behind the nut with a screwdriver.
What you're looking for is that the washer is tight but will slightly move from side to side when you twist a flat head screwdriver against the washer and rim of the drum. get the nut as tight until this movement is just possible. It'd be really easy to show you what it should feel like, but difficult to explain.

Does this make sense?

Sure some others will be by shortly.

All the best.

Andy

I wasnt sure on this either..... I changed bearings tightened the nut up, went for short spin then let cool down again. Next day I slackened of to the point I could get the right size feeler gauge between the nut and washer and then used Allen key to fix the nut in place again.....

70-CA-Panel said:
Hey Rippers,

I think you have the weird looking nut that has an allen bolt on the side, right?

The way I adjusted it was tighten the nut by hand then check the movement of the washer behind the nut with a screwdriver.
What you're looking for is that the washer is tight but will slightly move from side to side when you twist a flat head screwdriver against the washer and rim of the drum. get the nut as tight until this movement is just possible. It'd be really easy to show you what it should feel like, but difficult to explain.

Does this make sense?

Sure some others will be by shortly.

All the best.

Andy

This is right,I have found that you must only be able to just move that washer with a big screwdriver , if it is too easy to move it will still knock.

Latest posts