Garden Find RHD C/O Devon - Lots of Pictures

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
froggy said:
Looks a good base to start from (better than most of us started from) shame about the rear lights though :lol: :lol:
Any major plans or are you just going to use it as is?

Now Simon, leave the light thing alone...don't turn this into another bash the crossover thread..... :lol:

Hi all

I though that I should give an update.

I have scrubbed it all over with flash and have got rid of the grime.

SDC10176.jpg

SDC10177.jpg

SDC10179.jpg

SDC10180.jpg

The plan is to polish it all over as it is too good for a rat and in my opinion is not really old enough. I also hope to get a new shiny VW badge, shiny Fuch wheels and drop it down a few inches.

I have also just recieved a key from C&C (great service) and it opens all doors and locks apart from the tailgate (i'll take that out next week and get one on order).

I need to gunk all door shuts and then spray anti-bacterial spray on all fabrics, cushions, curtains, and the headlining. I will then give it a good scrub and make it shine as it deserves.

The plan was never to mint it, but to make it respectable and enjoy it.

I even got the thumbs up today from my son which is great, so hopefully he will come to shows etc with me.

The C/O seemed to be a good price and came with another tailgate, a spare engine, lots of spare windows, NOS spares, brake pads, lights, air filters, etc, so not too bad a deal, what do you think?

After recieving the key today I thought that I'd try and start it. I know that it was parked up in 2001 but the battery was flat!

I therefore had to jump start it, and even though it has only stood open to the elements, un-loved and with trees growing around it, did not start until the third try (is this normal?).

Seriously, I am amazed with it, it is great inside, no door cards are ripped, the roof lining has no hole's and after starting it up, the clutch works perfectly, it ticks over and the gearbox seems fine.

Overall I am really pleased and will put in many more hours over the next few weeks.

J.

Cali_bay said:
froggy said:
Looks a good base to start from (better than most of us started from) shame about the rear lights though :lol: :lol:
Any major plans or are you just going to use it as is?

Now Simon, leave the light thing alone...don't turn this into another bash the crossover thread..... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I must say that I agree that the rear lights are ugly. They are even worse when you have a good look at the 1/4's and the angles.

Stange as it is, I think an early bay with low lights and smaller rear tail lights works, but really do not think much of a late split with fish eye's a large rear window and also larger rear lights, they are okay but not the real thing (hope that makes sense).

I agree it is a shame that this camper is a CO and also that it is 10 to 15 years too late for an ideal split (bullet indicators, small rear window, round rear lights) - I will get one again sometime in the next few years, but I couldn't miss the oppurtunity of a complete camper that has full history and only 1 real owner since new, that has not been bodged and has all its faults on show, with no coverups.

I really am chuffed with it so far and even though I have a T4 Limo, Audi A6 Quattro, Saab 95 Vector, an 80's Land Rover, a 50's Lambretta LD am really pleased with a Camper project (but a small light would of been the cherry on the cake) - at least I get free tax though, and it is not a late 70's in orange ;)

J.

Nice! Reckon you got a bargain there and the trees are as good a proof as any that it is a genuine find :lol:

The only vehicle I've noticed that's been obviously parked up and forgotten is an austin maxi in the next village from me :shock: so all in I reckon you've lucked out there - no surprises with regards filler/repairs e.t.c.

Hows the underside? Not suffered too much?

I owned a crossdresser once and it was a solid bus, if I knew what I knew now I would have slammed it and saved my self a whole heap of money :mrgreen:

I'm not a fan of the rear lights and doglegs but they are small details to most and with an original bus like this, once it has been polished up, shiny wheels and dropped, people won't be looking at the rear lights (Well not all of us).

We shouldn't get too tied down with how early something is, or you could end up wanting for earlier all of the time eg:

72 - not sure about the rear lights....
71 - flared arches....
70 - I want split pattern beam
69 - I would prefer push button door handles.....
68 - Cool but it's not a split
67 Split - looks like a bay from the back
60 - love the small rear window and bullets but its not a Barndoor
54 - Nice barndoor......but it doesn't have piano hinged 1/4 lights
52 - Got the 1/4 lights but theres a guy on the Samba with a 1949 prototype

Sell the house, wife and kids and get that 1949 prototype, BUGGER - it drives like shit, can't see anything when I pull up to a junction, I will get linched if I so much as put a sticker in the window....let alone lower it.

I think I'll sell the Barndoor and use the money to buy a house, and an Early bay.......que wife and kids back.... :mrgreen:

Maybe a slight exaggeration but I think you get the gist....

This is a cool bus, and I wish I had found it for under £1k.

greentoad said:
I must say that I agree that the rear lights are ugly. They are even worse when you have a good look at the 1/4's and the angles.

Stange as it is, I think an early bay with low lights and smaller rear tail lights works, but really do not think much of a late split with fish eye's a large rear window and also larger rear lights, they are okay but not the real thing (hope that makes sense).

I agree it is a shame that this camper is a CO and also that it is 10 to 15 years too late for an ideal split (bullet indicators, small rear window, round rear lights) - I will get one again sometime in the next few years, but I couldn't miss the oppurtunity of a complete camper that has full history and only 1 real owner since new, that has not been bodged and has all its faults on show, with no coverups.

I really am chuffed with it so far and even though I have a T4 Limo, Audi A6 Quattro, Saab 95 Vector, an 80's Land Rover, a 50's Lambretta LD am really pleased with a Camper project (but a small light would of been the cherry on the cake) - at least I get free tax though, and it is not a late 70's in orange ;)

J.

I often think the same about my CO, but its a good solid bus and that's what's important. As Jon says, no matter what you get there is always something that your think would be better.

Good luck with your project, it looks a honest bus and keep the pictures coming.

Hi all

Thanks for the comments and encouragement.

I thought that I should post an update, and also start listing the hours spent on it so that a full record can be kept.

When I first picked it up -tree clearing, trying to pick locks, cutting window rubber, dragging out, emptying out junk, towing, making safe = 4 hours

Scrubbing with Flash and brush, plus washing = 7 hours

1st clean / mould removal inside - door cards, roof lining, windows etc = 4 hours

Removal of front door cards, ignition, sliding door card and locks = 2 hours

Clearing all loose junk from inside, plus sweeping = 1 hour

Engine - plug removal and clean, rotor arm and dizzy cap clean, check points, petrol in carb, spray with WD = 2 hours

Fire up engine, drive and move - 1 hour

Polish all over x 3 - mop and by hand, compound, t-cut, mer = 8 hours

More pictures to follow soon.

J.

Great bus - keep up the good work!
Remember crossovers are one year only and have all the extra features like disc brakes etc (Yes i know 71 did too). I think they are great! Tin top too!!!

Red interior too...................... took me ages to find a red interior for my last bus and still regreat selling it now!
Fuchs will look great with the white and red.

Very lucky man!

Ben ;)

faux said:
I:

72 - not sure about the rear lights....
71 - flared arches....
70 - I want split pattern beam
69 - I would prefer push button door handles.....
68 - Cool but it's not a split
67 Split - looks like a bay from the back
60 - love the small rear window and bullets but its not a Barndoor
54 - Nice barndoor......but it doesn't have piano hinged 1/4 lights
52 - Got the 1/4 lights but theres a guy on the Samba with a 1949 prototype

Sell the house, wife and kids and get that 1949 prototype, BUGGER - it drives like shit, can't see anything when I pull up to a junction, I will get linched if I so much as put a sticker in the window....let alone lower it.

I think I'll sell the Barndoor and use the money to buy a house, and an Early bay.......que wife and kids back.... :mrgreen:

Maybe a slight exaggeration but I think you get the gist....

This is a cool bus, and I wish I had found it for under £1k.

quality and very sharp

Latest posts