gear selection woes!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cakey666

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have a 1969 westy LHD 1600cc, I have just tried to take it for a run out but have struggled to engage first and second gears, but able to select third, fourth and reverse....
Anyone got any ideas what's going on??
Thank you
Cakey

Snap - i also have a 69 lhd westy :mrgreen:

seriously tho i was having terrible trouble selecting gears but i adjusted the clutch cable via the wingnut and this sorted it completly, works fine now although i havn't any adjustment left ( so either clutch is on its last legs or cable is stretched )

thanks for your reply
I've been trying again today with gear selection and now have difficulty selecting reverse, but can occasionally find 1st and second, then when I select reverse don't seem to be able to select 1st or 2nd. It seems to be hit and miss, I have tried moving the stop plate over to the left and still have difficulty
any more ideas or possible causes??
Thanks
Cakey

It sounds like my split gear change when the rod bushes were shot, but the bay has a pin at the front end of the change rod to jeep it centred so check this is ok. when you find 2nd gear the long bit of the gear lever should be vertical, if it isnt, keep it in gear and loosen the mounting bracket so the lever can be moved to vertical and set the stop plate (the bit that stops engaging reverse unless the lever is pushed down) to just touch the lever on the left side. The lever should move straight forwards and backwards between 1st and second, adjust the stop plate again if it doesnt. If you still find selection is erratic it points to wear somewhere, most likely is the rubber square coupling at the back end of the change rod to front of gearbox which rots when oil leaks on it.

ronmidg said:
It sounds like my split gear change when the rod bushes were shot, but the bay has a pin at the front end of the change rod to jeep it centred so check this is ok. when you find 2nd gear the long bit of the gear lever should be vertical, if it isnt, keep it in gear and loosen the mounting bracket so the lever can be moved to vertical and set the stop plate (the bit that stops engaging reverse unless the lever is pushed down) to just touch the lever on the left side. The lever should move straight forwards and backwards between 1st and second, adjust the stop plate again if it doesnt. If you still find selection is erratic it points to wear somewhere, most likely is the rubber square coupling at the back end of the change rod to front of gearbox which rots when oil leaks on it.

The short section at the base should be vertical and the long section tilt back at approx. 20 degrees.

Thank you all for your help and support, as it is much appreciated. I have managed to locate the problem, there's a muff coupling on the front section of the shift rod which was loose also, once this was tightened, selection improved somewhat
Thanks again
Cakey :D :D

I had the same problem with my van. Turned out it was the gearshift rod coupling at the rear end at the front of the gearbox. When it wears out you lose the rotation which allows you to get 1st and 2nd and you end up with 3rd and 4th instead. Cost about a tenner and easy to fit. Worth a try?

Latest posts