• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gearbox wanted - other items for sale

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scull

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a very noisy input shaft bearing that needs replacing in my gearbox fitted to a 1915cc T1 AS code engine. Does anyone know of a competent garage or individual that could replace the bearing? Failing that, I would be interested in changing the gearbox if one becomes available.

Also I have the following for sale from my 1971 early bay. Buyer to collect from Swindon, Wiltshire.
1. 34 pict carb attached to inlet manifolds. Ran really well on my bus before twin P40s were fitted - rubbers only 3 months old - £60.00
2. Four 195 x 60 reinforced tyres on 14 inch steel wheels. Tyres only done around 100 miles - £ 120.00.

Thanks for looking. Scull.

Hi,
My hopes of a bigger engine are disappearing so i am swapping back to a standard box from the current AT code gearbox i have in my van.
This gearbox has longer ratios than a standard bay and suits a larger engine, if your interested in it then let me know. It shifts lovely but can be a little noisy when extremely cold like the weather currently is one warmed up its fine, i only noticed yesterday as it was fine all summer.
I know of company that have been building these gearboxes for years for formula V and formula fords they charge around £250.
For your £150 you would get the box, the adaptors and required clutch cable and clevis pin, all you would need is some MK2 Golf CV joints.

Cheers
Sam

Hi Sam.

Not sure this box will fit my AS code T1 engine! If you can convince me otherwise I would be interested in buying the box for £ 150.00. Let me know where you are based in case I decide to buy. Cheers Scull.

The only engine that I'm unsure if the gearbox will mate up to is a type 4. AS I believe is a standard upright vw engine case meaning they gearbox will mate up to it no probs.
unfortunately someone ells has bought the gearbox, however I spoke with a friend about an AN code gearbox which again will work a treat with engine.
This box he informs me is perfect and not requiring a rebuild, as such it's £300 collection from Milton Keynes area.
If you chose this type of gearbox you will need some adaptors that can be purchased from a chap on this forum I think his screen name is Axlfoley.
A RHD clutch cable (longer than LHD) a later style clevis pin and some Mk2 golf CV joints.
By doing this conversion you will dramatically lower your RPM whilst maintaining MPH and increase your MPG.

Latest posts