Generator light came on then...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zcat7

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
... having quickly switched off and coasted to a halt I popped the boot up to take a look. I found my fanbelt sitting on the tinware, intact, and the outer remains of my crank pulley sitting against the battery! The tattered centre is still firmly in place on the crank.

So what's happened here? I fear that the fan has "let go" and siezed somehow. I can spin the alternator without any grinding noises but I think it spins a little too freely; no drag of the fan in evidence.

It was midnight when I got home and hence too dark to do anything and this morning when I looked I was in my office togs so couldn't stuff my arm down the back to check the fan but has anyone got any ideas?

If it is the fan what is likely to be broken? Alternator drive bits? Oil cooler smashed? Will I get it fixed in time for Volksworld!!!? :(

Neil

the crank pulleys do let go sometimes - was it an aftermarket one?

if the fan pulley spins you're all good, it does feel quite free , the fan if off would probably scrape and make a noise....

sounds like you need a new pulley and a belt and away you go.....

Woodruff key?

I think I agree with dubdabz though, fit a new pulley and see.

I assume it's a standard pulley. It's not a fancy billet ally one with timing marks or anything, just a pressed flat black thing.
I think the woodruff key is ok but I'll double check when I pull what's left of the centre off! On that subject, What am I goin to pull on! Hopefully I can get a pullr on there somehow...

Thanks for the replies guys, hopefully it is just the pulley!

Neil

Zcat7 said:
I assume it's a standard pulley. It's not a fancy billet ally one with timing marks or anything, just a pressed flat black thing.
I think the woodruff key is ok but I'll double check when I pull what's left of the centre off! On that subject, What am I goin to pull on! Hopefully I can get a pullr on there somehow...

Thanks for the replies guys, hopefully it is just the pulley!

Neil

Some repro pulleys have detonated, sure I've read about this before...whack a wanted ad for a D marked original pulley.
I may have one going spare, I'll check in a few minutes...

I'm afraid I only have a standard pulley - the D marked ones are slightly bigger and spin the fan faster I believe?
Happy to send it to you for £10 posted - also checked I haven't got any woodruff keys [well actually I have but can't find them :lol: ]

Thanks Dubdubz. I already ordered a Scat pulley from Coolair to get me going again (plus I thought the timing marks would be useful!) so I'll give that a try and see how I go for now. I've seen smaller pulleys advertised (more HP less cooling I guess) but not the other way round. Is there a viewopint on using the D marked ones for better cooling? I guess you'd need a different fanbelt for either of these?

I hadn't thought about replacing the woodruff key; I might give Coolair a call and get one added to the order.

Any problems and I'll give you a shout about your spare stock pulley if that's OK

Neil

Glad you got it sorted - but don't trust the timing marks to be 100% accurate, they never are.

Zcat7 said:
Thanks Dubdubz. I already ordered a Scat pulley from Coolair to get me going again (plus I thought the timing marks would be useful!) so I'll give that a try and see how I go for now. I've seen smaller pulleys advertised (more HP less cooling I guess) but not the other way round. Is there a viewopint on using the D marked ones for better cooling? I guess you'd need a different fanbelt for either of these?

I hadn't thought about replacing the woodruff key; I might give Coolair a call and get one added to the order.

Any problems and I'll give you a shout about your spare stock pulley if that's OK

Neil

no probs, the D marked ones are def bigger, as I found the one for me [ I thought I had 2 but seems not ]
I'll try and do a pic to show you what I mean.......

one thing and again not to sound negative, the aftermarket ally pulleys tend to leak a little , the reverse screw machining isn't deep enough and so you may find it still finds it's way out, there's no actual seal there as I'm sure you know and its the machining on the pulley that keeps the oil inside!!

anyhoo if you change your mind mine will still be in my box of spares :lol:

for info the standard pulley is 170mm and the D marked one is 178mm

IMAG0517.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the aftermarket pulleys, I'll keep my eye on that. Do you know if one make is better than another or are they all much about the same?

Either way, any spraying of oil and I'll be dropping you a PM :)

Neil

Thought I'd post some pictures of the offending crank pulley up:

In the first picture the 2 arrows show the arc that seem to be the initial fault line and it would appear that it started at the corner where the square hole is punched out. When you look at that arc the torn faces look "polished" as if they had vibrated against themselves for a while until the whole thing finally let go.

DSC01800-1-1.jpg

DSC01801.jpg

DSC01803.jpg

Have fitted a Scat item for now, hope fully that will prove to be OK!

Neil

Latest posts