GPS tracker - anybody got this model?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevH

Reaction score
I recently got this off fleabay and although I can get it to text me its position, I cannot get the actual GPS function to work. The middle of the three lights never illuminates.

1.jpg

I have installed a SIM and set it up as per the instructions. I can text it and it responds with Googlemap coordinates. But I cannot make the thing show as being live on the tk.tkygps.com web site.

Anybody got one and how did you get it to work on the live site?

Or is it a bag of sh*te?

Not used that model I'm afraid although I guess for it to work on the website it needs GPRS enabled. Have you set up the access point details?

how did you get logged in, I am having trouble with just this, I have used the last 8 digits and 123456 as password

I never did get it to register on the tk.tkygps.com site and when it gobbled up my £10 credit in a matter of days I gave up and ripped it out. Absolute pile of poo if you ask me :cry: .

I have gone back to square one and am now considering a Skytag 'live view' subscription at about £11 a month.

I hope you have better luck. If you do manage to work out how the heck it links to that site, do tell.

Hi,

I have no direct experience of either of the devices mentioned, but I've spent a lot of time researching these products and I do know that most of these trackers are [often] not the great value for money they first appear to be.

Personally, I use this one http://www.pinpointpal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Simple to register and set up, no hidden costs and great value for money - £175 (incl. 2yrs, global, network coverage) and then just £25/yr - if you're looking for a really good alternative, it's well worth checking it out.

Hope you find this a useful post.

Any explanation as to why or is this just the spam it appears to be? :roll:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Hi,

I'm certainly not trying to spam people, so please don't take offence. I don't normally join these kinda forums.

I've spent a long-time looking myself and couldn't find anything I saw as good value. Started to review/spectate these forums for clues, even bought a few. But nothing out there really works. Either doesn't work, or just really, really expensive to maintain.

My language is a bit sales pitchy, but it is worth taking a look at... I'm new to this!! :)

I only ask as I have the cheap eBay tk103b and so far I haven't had any issues with it. What problems have you experienced and what does the one you link to do that the cheap ones dont?

Genuinely interested to know and apologies if it wasn't spam, just came across as a plug......

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

It was a kinda plug, I guess, as I think it's a really good solution.

The ones on eBay I found were hit and miss whether you got one that worked, then I hated the fact that you needed to get a SIM and remember to keep it toped up. Also, didn't like the text process for location or that it was expensive if I ever drove across the channel...

This one; I simply wired up and it works. Plus, with this one, 'cos its all in an app & I'm not paying per search, I find I use it for stupid stuff like remembering where I parked, etc... Useful in a town you don't know or at IKEA car park (yesterday).

Sorry, maybe a little sale pitchy again? But it is really good... Seems they've thought about the problem, rather than just sell you a 'box of bits'.

Fair enough. I have written an app so the SMS side of things isn't an issue, it was a bit tricky to remember the commands so I can see your point. Even though, for me, it would be difficult to justify it at 5 times the initial cost. Probably worth it for the ease of use for some folk.

If you dont pay the subscription does the device become useless?

Latest posts