Green generator light issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris

Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell what would be causing my generator light to flicker during idle and then stay on after my engine has been running and is warm. When it is moving it is fine, and when it is cold it is fine, it just seem to happen after driving and I come to a stop. The engine itself does not sound like it is going to stall or idling to slow, but if I push down the excelerator slightly it goes off.

P.s. I.have an alternator and appear to have no battery charging problems.

Your symptoms sound like oil pressure light to me, maybe because you said the green light, which on my Oval is oil pressure! In any case the way you describe it, it really sounds like the oil pressure, fine when cold, flickers when warm on idle. I'm probably not on the money with this one, but its just how it sounds to me!!

Its not the pressure as that is red and only flicks on then straight of when I start the engine. I'm pretty sure it is electrical and have found my battery earth, but I have not had chance to change it.

One thing I did wonder though is could it be anything to do with the distributor? I had a similar problem once before when the points had come loose, but that was on a long trip and I broke down. I currently haven't used the bus over an hour since this problem started and all seems normal when the engine is cool. I also have replaced the points with an electric ignition.

Are you sure the warning lamps haven't been accidentally swapped in the dash pod?

It does sound like an oil pressure problem rather than a generator one though. But the way to check is pull the oil pressure switch connection off and go for a short drive to see if this stops the light coming on.

it definitely sounds generator/alternator light behaviour to me unless you cross installed the generator (alternator) & oil pressure lights while putting it together because green is oil pressure originally as sparkywig pointed out. while red light is for generator (alternator). if its generator light, your carbon brushes on the alternator need replacement.

sometimes this problem is solved even by cleaning the armature where the carbon brushes are touching the armature.

Latest posts