hard starting when warm

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Baker

Reaction score
My 79 Type 2 fuel injected starts instanly when cold. Drive it for 20 minutes and it will not start until you wait a while. I installed a new coil but same thing. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need to fit a "Hot Start" relay. Old wiring causes a drop in current especially when warm, this relay allows full current to be applied to the starter.

Attachments

• Hot Start.JPG
    Hot Start.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1
My 79 Type 2 fuel injected starts instanly when cold. Drive it for 20 minutes and it will not start until you wait a while. I installed a new coil but same thing. Any suggestions?
I’ll second that. One of the very best mods to do to your vehicle. It could also be a sign that your ignition switch is nearing its end. The hot start relay may save it for quite a few years but the replacements aren’t filling anyone with confidence. Is yours hydraulic tappets ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, popyour old coil in a sealed bag and mark it up as a spare :)

When you say it won't start do you mean the starter won't turn the engine over, or it turns over but won't fire? If it's the latter then the Hot Start relay won't help as this is just about the starter itself. It is a good mod, I have it myself but wouldn't want you to waste your time.
Another thing worth checking, for either case above, is the earth strap from gearbox to chassis; I've had starting issues because of that. It's copper and that set up a dielectric furring against the aluminium casing that was only visible once you undid the nut and inspected the mating faces.

Latest posts