Headlight main beam,dip beam dash lights what lights up

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yackaboo

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm trying to figure out my headlight dash indicator lights ( little blue and green indicators) what lights up and when..

I've just put a new wiring harness in my bus ('70' right hand drive UK bus).
With the ignition off and lights off. If I pull the indicator stalk back to flash the headlight the blue light will light up and headlight goes onto main beam, until I release the stalk which I'm pretty sure is correct.
If I pull the light switch out to the first stop (side lights) the green indication light lights up, if I pull the switch out to the second stop the green light goes out, is this correct??? if I flash the main beam or pull the stalk to switch on the main beam the little blue light will still flash or stay on ok.

Should the headlight indicator light ( green light) stay lit, in both light positions. ( pos.1 side lights & pos.2 headlights)

There is another issue as well

If I turn on the ignition and turn the lights on, the blue main beam light is on even when the headlights are on dip, If I pull the indicator stalk back to flash the headlights or to turn on the main beam the blue light goes out! If I switch the headlights back to dip beam the blue light is switched back on...

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mike

The green light bit is correct and this is only lit when the side lights are on. I'm not sure about your full beam but essentially the blue light should be on when you have full beam only.

Hope that helps

Bobster said:
The green light bit is correct and this is only lit when the side lights are on. I'm not sure about your full beam but essentially the blue light should be on when you have full beam only.

Hope that helps

Hi Bobster,
Thanks for that, that's cleared up one question,

Cheers
Mike

I'm no expert but it sounds like you have the blue/white wire going to the wrong fuse. It is live on low beam but should be live on high beam. Change the blue/white wire going from the indication light in speedo over to the yellow cable fuse from the white cable fuse, or vice versa (can't remember whether high beam is yellow or white)

Mine is a 71 and the blue light comes on dip and turns off with main/high beam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

Thanks for clearing that point up for me, I kind of makes sense now if other vehicle lights work the same way, guess I was expecting the blue dash light to light up on main beam as modern car systems do, my problem was that it was such a long time ago that I last drove the van I had forgotten what did what and when.

Cheers

Mike

Have to state for the record mine is probably wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My crossover has green light for sidelights, no light for dipped, and blue for flash, or blue for when on main beam when lights switched on. It 'latches' on until you pull the lever again and then goes back to dip.

Dave

Hi Guys,

Going by the feed back so far I'm going on the principal that as said in previous posts,

1st stop on light switch = side lights = green dash lamp
2nd stop on light switch = headlights = green dash lamp off ( blue on only if headlights are on main beam) if lights are on dip beam no indicator light showing on instrument cluster.
If headlights are flashed then blue dash indicator lights up as well.

Cheers for confirming that guys.

mine has back ground light green indicators both come up for left or right,

side or dipped green and full beam blue

some times full beam comes on when indicating left or right loose stalk!

Basically the same as a modern car!!!! eg my golf mk2 golf or mk3/4 cabriolet.

Matt48,

That was what was confusing me, modern car lighting system normally is lights on, green light on dash whether side or headlamps, blue light is main beam/ headlight flash...

But then we are talking about a 40+ year old vehicle now, so anything is possible, Ive spent 18+ hours fitting a new wiring loom then tracing and re tracing the lighting circuit following wiring diagrams and now after the feed back I've had on this thread it turns out its wired correctly in the first place, I'd even bought a new headlight relay as I thought the original had a fault, wrong....
I guess you live n learn. :roll:

Cheers
Mike

Latest posts