Headlight dipping.. realy or wiring?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james_stan

Reaction score
Hi folks

Beam was stuck in full but I pulled the switch (indicator/flash) stalk to check wiring and it switched to low..?? Now it's stuck low and I'm uncertain why. I replaced the relay several years ago and relocated it to slightly away from the fusebox and windscreen leaks.

Looking at the wiring is looks like the dip beam switch connects the S terminal to GND ( the switch itself is good - checked with DMM) so I guess I can double check teh relay by connecting a wire to that S termail and touching it to chassis/GND...yes?

..also while inspecting the igntion/ flash switch arrangemsnt I spotted a loose GND/Earth (same group as red, red/black and black) that I don't have a home for. Seems to be
part of teh ignition switch, anyone know where this should connect to? (see pic)

Attachments

• vw_wiring.jpg
    vw_wiring.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
Check the back of your fuse box. I had a similar issue and it turned out a few of the headlight connectors on the back had hairline cracks in them. They looked okay but refused to stay on, it was only when tightening one it fell apart. I checked the others and at least one other had the same issue.

Brown on ign switch is for key buzzer I think, you are correct on the dip switch wiring just check the earth on back of instrument cluster.

Hi Folks update.. the dip/main started working again - I think after a sharp tap on the relay with a screwdriver handle. But then side/rear lights failed. Pretty sure thi is not connected and the new problems is down to a faulty switch.. BTW am I right in thinking its the two LHS fuseways that power side and rear lights?

Latest posts