HELP

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worthog

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Help

I`am half way through a full stripe down on wy 72 Devon, can any tell me how i can completley remove the rear linkage,as im having the van completley dipped...

I have removed the engine and gear box already, however my van has a belly pan so carnt see the linkage underneath..... :?:

PS Pictures to follow soon of stripe down so far :D

Thanks Ash

There should a grub screw with locking wire around it that's tighten on to the hockey stick that comes out the nose cone an if you don't mean that an you mean the long shift rod that comes out the back of the bus

Also can I ask where your taking it for dipping ? Spl?

Rob

I`d remove the belly pans if dipping anyway ..as there will be rust behind there aplenty

Rob b said:
There should a grub screw with locking wire around it that's tighten on to the hockey stick that comes out the nose cone an if you don't mean that an you mean the long shift rod that comes out the back of the bus

Rob

Hi Rob,

I`m taking the shell to SPL.

Ash

lhu128l said:
I`d remove the belly pans if dipping anyway ..as there will be rust behind there aplenty

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, i`ll remove the belly pans, would you weld them back on afterwards :?:

Ash

worthog said:
Rob b said:

Rob

Hi Rob,

I`m taking the shell to SPL.

Ash

I know this isn't what you goin to want to hear but if
Your getting it dipped you need to get it e coated as the acid they use seems to stay in the seams if you don't have it e coated an then the shell is starting around you will see the rust growing from the seams that are spot welded

Were just had a shell back from
A place in Nottingham an there acid doesn't seem as start as it doesn't eat alloy an doesn't seem to rust in the seams yet but time will tell

Rob

Pretty sure it was

http://www.prostrip.co.uk/car-auto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob

worthog said:
Thanks for the link..

Did they do a good job ?

Ash

I've only started working on the shell today but as I say there acid isn't as strong as Spl or they do something different but it does look good

Rob

Sorry to jump in on the thread but didnt that Splitty off CamperVan crisis get dipped and then the acid that remained in the hidden areas ate through the shiny new paint and metal in the following months post resto - ruining the bus in the process? :shock:

I have been led to believe media blasting was much more bus friendly and cheaper if done correctly? :)

Good luck with the resto!

StuF said:
Sorry to jump in on the thread but didnt that Splitty off CamperVan crisis get dipped and then the acid that remained in the hidden areas ate through the shiny new paint and metal in the following months post resto - ruining the bus in the process? :shock:

I have been led to believe media blasting was much more bus friendly and cheaper if done correctly? :)

Good luck with the resto!

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, can you recommend were to get it media blasting?

Thanks
Ash

I have heard decent things about this company but I have never used them!

http://www.suttonsodablasting.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe an idea to ask a wider audience for a more accurate representation of a companies reputation?

A lot of the Porsche boys get there shells dipped then e-coated . Its what they do to new cars !!
I`ve never had it done personally . Plus its very expensive .
I also know someone that had there split bug shell media blasted and the heat knackered the roof and warped the doors .

lhu128l said:
A lot of the Porsche boys get there shells dipped then e-coated . Its what they do to new cars !!
I`ve never had it done personally . Plus its very expensive .
I also know someone that had there split bug shell media blasted and the heat knackered the roof and warped the doors .

E coating and other protective treatments yes.

Dipping a shell into a corrosive substance no - they do not do that to new cars - you cant get it out of the seams....

Latest posts