Highlands late March/Early April

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlepecha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Microbus
M-codes
095 508 697 A01
Hi,

Recently being putting together a 1 or 2 week route in the Highlands for next years Easter school holidays(I'm on my 2nd year of my HNC, hence don't want to take time off during college). So its going to be from the 28th March to the 12th April.

Initial plan is to set of early 28th and drive to Inverness where we will stock up on supplies, rather than carry it all the way from Leeds.

From there the plan would be this

Which is:
Inverness - Dornoch(overnight) - John O' Groats(overnight)- Ferry to St. Margaret's Hope - Stromess(maybe overnight) - Ferry to Scrabster - Thurso(stop overnight here if we can't on Orkney) - Durness(overnight) - Kilnlochbervie - Ullapool(overnight) - Fort William(overnight)

I have tried to keep driving time below 2:30 hours a day,with stops in between for sight seeing etc.

Initially I have only got 6 days in that plan so we can extend the route, possibly starting from near Aberdeen then spend a couple of days Traveling to Inverness etc.

So I have two questions, is it going to be too cold/wet in the highlands at that time of year for a decent camping holiday? And/or is there anywhere I should go see while I'm there?

Thanks

Q. Is it going to be too cold/wet in the highlands at that time of year for a decent camping holiday?
A. Probably yes but I wouldn't let that put you off, just plan accordingly and take stuff to stay dry and warm. If I let the vagaries of the Scottish weather dictate any plans then I probably wouldn't end up going anywhere. Remember too that in March the daylight hours won't be that long so pack the Scrabble and some extra booze. Your itinerary looks a good one assuming the ferry to Orkney isn't disrupted. Your planned driving distances seem to be organised in manageable chunks as you won't cover vast distances in 2-1/2 hours on rural Scottish roads. I'm struggling to recommend things to do and see apart from looking at the bleak but majestic scenery (assuming it's not blanketed in low cloud). If you're feeling cold you could always go and "warm" yourselves with the glow from Dounreay. There's a Clearances museum at Bettyhill. If ceramics are your thing then Lotte Glob has an excellent studio at Loch Eriboll. As for campsites - good one on the cliffs at Durness but watch out if it gets windy; another good one at Clachtoll just north of Lochinver. If you're planning on using campsites check that they're open at that time of year as a lot of sites won't open up until the Easter holidays at the earliest. Anyway, have a good trip.

Looking at your map, F to I is where the best bits are IMO. Campsites: one with a pub at melvich might be open, and big sands just outside garloch. Me thinks you will be camping wild some nights, try oldshoremore area - I parked in the field next to public toilets, not a campsite but the field owner will arrive and start doing stuff, give him a fiver and he has a chat an goes home. Shiedaig has community campsite and cracking pub

Go to your local library and borrow the os maps. Highlights fir me are a walk at Betty hill beach, cycle to sandwood bay, walk to red point whaling hut, and generally looking out the window.

I've cycled it and also campervaned it. When it's sunny and there's nobody around it's the best place in the world

You'll be cold mind.......but no midges!

^^^

Wot he said - F to I definitely the best bit IMHO, most mountainous etc. Some fantastic scenery, I might even put another day in around there if I were you.

See if you can nip out from Kinlochewe to Torridon - real treat, the scenery rivals anything in Europe, and stay a night at the top of Loch Torridon.

Some fantastic hills to climb thereabouts too if that's your thing, clear views of Skye etc from the top on a good day.

Latest posts