How early??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Reaction score
Just got down to Somerset for another go at the van and dug out the owners manual that came with the van. It has all the first service stamps, registration etc etc.
The van had its delivery inspection on 9th January, 1968 and the customer warranty voucher starts on the 10th - this must make it one of the first here surely? Instruction manual and Service Card is dated August 1967

Production started in Aug 67, so it looks well early.

Post up the chassis number? :D

Will do - I'll go and check in the daylight tomorrow!! I must be thick, but I have not managed to match what is written in the service book in terms of numbers, with any of the chassis number guides....I guess the actual plate will tell me!!

Right - the numbers on the plate behind the drivers seat are:

So, am I correct in thinking that makes it a 'Kombi' made in the '68 Year (August 67-July 68) and it was number 65413 built?

What does the plate behind the passenger seat tell me then?

11D
11 020 061 196

EN 2340 474735 8065413

By the way - if it is a bad idea to 'publish' these numbers on here, please let me know!

angus said:
Right - the numbers on the plate behind the drivers seat are:

So, am I correct in thinking that makes it a 'Kombi' made in the '68 Year (August 67-July 68) and it was number 65413 built?

What does the plate behind the passenger seat tell me then?

11D
11 020 061 196

EN 2340 474735 8065413

By the way - if it is a bad idea to 'publish' these numbers on here, please let me know!

Yeah it's 65423 build number, i'd say its a late 67...

dont worry about posting these numbers on here, there's not alot anyone can do with them.

there should be a scheduled build date in the top left corner of the plate behind the left hand front seat... example mine has 25 8 which makes it Aug 25. short of getting a certificate from VW this is the most acurate way of dating them...

11th December?
The plate behind the passenger seat on my bus has what I wrote above on it - can't see anything that looks like a date, unless I have mis-read 11D?! :lol:

11 December 1967, thats about 2 weeks or so after mine!

EN dictates it was built for export to England.

238 is Cargo doors left, sunroof, right hand drive.

65,413 is the production number.

That 1December is just a guess, as the only thing I can find where the date should be is 11 D ?? I stand to be corrected!
Interesting it had a sunroof, which obviously went when Mr Pitt converted it!!

angus said:
That 1December is just a guess, as the only thing I can find where the date should be is 11 D ?? I stand to be corrected!

11D refers to 11 December

I guess it has a pop top? The chassis are the same for a pop top or sunroof bus.

Ive just thought though, mine is a 238 and its a left hand drive .... :? :shock: Maybe thats not a reliable identifier? I got it from thesamba .....

Clem said:
angus said:

11D refers to 11 December

I guess it has a pop top? The chassis are the same for a pop top or sunroof bus.

Yeah Early Westy poptops are sunroof model bodyshells... but Pitt poptops normally use a longer hole in the roof so has the sunroof section been completely hacked out?

Cheers guys - no evidenc of a sunroof left, but there may be underneath headlining etc. I've taken loads of pics this weekend of roof up/camper interior etc, so I'll get these up on our website then I'll have something to refer you to!
Great to get more info about our bus - twas born 10 days after me :D (well, and 3 years earlier, but its close enough!)
I love my van.
:lol:

Has it got belly pans? All sunroof shells had bellypans over all the centre chassis rails, outriggers etc for extra stiffness to make up for the hole in the roof. this could be why Mr Pitt used them even though he chopped the sunroof section out.

No belly pans, but I'll have to check to see if there were ever any - I guess they may have been chopped off years ago...

Latest posts