Ignition switch problem causing starter motor to stay on.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharman

Reaction score
A recent fault has occurred with my camper. When I start her up and release the key once fired up, the key doesn't spring back. It just stays put and keeps the starter motor on! I have to manually turn the key back.
Not sure if it's the ignition switch or key barrel at fault?

Any idea appreciate.

There's a spring in the ignition switch that will have failed, mine is the same. Once you get used to it it's fine I've had a new switch for nearly 3 years but not got round to changing it yet.

Mine is exactly the same, it's on a to do list (very long) somewhere although I have to admit I was unsureiuf it was the switch or the barrel.

So am I right in thinking that the switch is the bit that plugs into the barrel and us 'not quite' so fiddly to refit in situ ?

Apparently doable in situ, I learnt that today. I took it all apart when I was trying to find the problem so I'm not quite sure of the in situ technique

Can you confirm that this is the part ...

http://www.justkampers.com/vw-t2-bay-window-parts/t2-bay-electrical-parts/switches-ignition-switches-keys/111-905-865-f-ignition-switch-and-loom-vw-beetle-1970-1971-vw-t2-bay-1970-1974.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not doubting for a minute that your key does not spring back, but I had a problem with my starter motor staying on and it turned out to be the starter motor bush was cream crackered.
I changed the starter motor bush and all was well.

I was in the process of buying a new ignition switch and /or starter motor but didn't need it in the end, just a new bush .

Just thought you might like to have an alternative to check before shelling out , good luck either way, cheers

Latest posts