Insurance woes - Insurance for SORN vehicles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haveacamper

Reaction score
I could have chosen from soo many titles:

"Let down by Volkworld Insurance"
"Recommend me some insurnace companies for modified campers"
...etc

Bascially while I was back in the UK over christmas/NY I fully intended on renewing/changing my insurance

Having been told by the Volksworld that I couldn’t go through the renewal process until I received my renewal letter (although it was within 30days of renewal) I waited for my renewal letter to arrive.

Low and behold, it had gone up…..by 32%. So I phoned up and went through the process of trying to reduce my premium. As I am living in Australia for the next 15months I thought I would remove my partner and my dad as Named drivers and put my dad as the new policy holder….for someone with 40+years’ experience, they wouldn’t insure him!!!

I then tried to remove the named drivers and reduce my limited mileage from 3000miles to minimum of 1000miles….surprise surprise somehow there was no reduction in my premium!!!

I then thought, bugger it, I will just declare it SORN and ask them to insure the vehicle….unless garaged, they couldn’t offer me a “laid up” policy. Bizarre thing is that the camper is kept in an gated apartment, with the parking in a further gated, underground carpark!

O ye, and we’re not talking about a nominal premium here, I’m talking about 700quid, lol. I’m 28yrs old (no claims or convictions) with Porsche 911 engine fitted and agreed valuation of 25k.

I will probably declare vehicle SORN, so was wondering whether anyone has insured an un-garaged vehicle while SORN. IF so, who did you use???

For the sake of a couple of hundred quid - is it really worth sorning it? I'm sure you'll have a better chance of getting some more competitive quotes if you keep it taxed.

FWIW, I'm younger than you and have mine garaged (puts premium up) and with Admiral multicar I'm paying less than £200 on a 5000 mile policy. My agreed valuation is a bit less than yours though!

Well I was hoping that insuring it sorn wouldbe peanuts as noonecould crash into me or could I crash into someone else...This was my reasoning in testing the water with that option.

I don't have any other cars in UK so multi car is not an option.

Also I bet yiur camper isnt as modified as mine either hehe.

Fair points - will be interesting to see what others have done in this situation.

I have mine SORN'd and not garaged but it is standard (read rusty) but I didn't bother telling the insurance company it was SORN'd!

Think I paid £100 last year (no valuation figure though) - think it is with Adrian Flux!

just for info, I had my old van covered by Norton, agreed value, 3,000 miles, breakdown Etc Etc sorn or not all for around £110fully comp, can't knock them.

Latest posts