Is this Bus dodgy?...........

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you thinking it's dodgy because it's got a late bay front panel? - the guy does say this has been replaced in the description....if you are concerned ask for a clear photo of the m-plate and decode to check

Jason said:
lard said:
are you thinking it's dodgy because it's got a late bay front panel?

Looks like a Sept 72 onwards bus.

Agreed, dont forget that tax exemption is based on the date of manufacture not the date of registration.
It does have the features of a 73 model year - early style dash gauges, flap for fuel filler etc so I guess its an early 73 model ;)

That one hell of a big fridge (freezer?) in there tho :lol:

And it does appear from the pics like it has one year only (73) seams on the bumper deformation panel, but the sliding door is 74 on ;)

Nugsy said:
If you think its dodgy then walk away, but interested as to why you think its a ringer?

And no its not me selling it :)

I have been told that the none of the late bays were not tax exempt. were any late style bays made in 1972?

When did the cross over year finsh?

I'm probley wrong . :roll:

L reg started august 1st '72 so plenty of busses tax exempt before the cut-off date of Jan 1st '73.....there's lots of very odd late bays in this period that had "bits" from the early bay parts bin used up

Crossovers grew a late style front and bumpers in late 72 before becoming fully fledged lates in 73 ( Loxy can give you more accurate dates and info) Its therefore possible to have a late bay thats tax exempt.
Probably the biggest givaway with lates is the petrol filler, everything else is easy to change.
If it has a flap over the petrol cap then its possible for a late to be tax exempt if it hasnt then its highly unlikly to be a 72.

I thought it looked correct for year, but would agree it was a bit dodgy ;)

I think the confusion is regarding model years and manufacturing years - it is most likely a 73 model year van that was manufactured sometime between 1st Sept 1972 - 31st December 1972. The chassis number (or M-code plate) will be able to identify if that is the case......

Agreed most likely a '73 model year, and also as mentioned, a '74 onwards sliding door, which does look a slightly different shade of grey too, as if it has been painted to try and match the rest.:)

That exhaust doesn't look correct for a '72, either :lol:

Seriously, any 40 year old Vdub (especially a panel van) is going to have had several lives and lots of loving attention (new panels and doors etc) over the years. If this was being sold as 'original', you should be concerned.

Harlequin said:
L reg started august 1st '72 so plenty of busses tax exempt before the cut-off date of Jan 1st '73.....there's lots of very odd late bays in this period that had "bits" from the early bay parts bin used up

Oh yeah!!!! Mine's built in the first week of Sept '72. It's full of early parts, even down to the drilling on the front for an early badge (Of which the picture in the brochure I have is sporting) Lots of using up of what was in the parts bin went on I think.

Latest posts