king and link pin front axle problems!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnydhc

Reaction score
Right im gunna put this out there and hope someone can give me a solution before i throw the lot in the bin!!! i have what i was told is a csp front beam that is adjustable and narrowed(new). It has early split king and link pin set up , again rebuilt and new. When the beam is bolted up and everything is where it should be there are at least three issues:
1. The gearshift rod fouls on the centre steering arm pinion. !!
2. The hand brake cable on the drivers side(left hand drive) fouls the steering idler arm
3. The clutch cable also fouls a grease nipple on the beam( iKnow this is easy solved)
I cannot see how I can rectify these problems unless a, the idler arm is completely wrong , i have tried to look at pictures to see if it a different angle or is stepped different than the one fitted. or B this beam has been built incorrectly.
Thoughts please :(
Cheers Ben

donnydhc said:
Right im gunna put this out there and hope someone can give me a solution before i throw the lot in the bin!!! i have what i was told is a csp front beam that is adjustable and narrowed(new). It has early split king and link pin set up , again rebuilt and new. When the beam is bolted up and everything is where it should be there are at least three issues:
1. The gearshift rod fouls on the centre steering arm pinion. !!
2. The hand brake cable on the drivers side(left hand drive) fouls the steering idler arm
3. The clutch cable also fouls a grease nipple on the beam( iKnow this is easy solved)
I cannot see how I can rectify these problems unless a, the idler arm is completely wrong , i have tried to look at pictures to see if it a different angle or is stepped different than the one fitted. or B this beam has been built incorrectly.
Thoughts please :(
Cheers Ben

1. Yep, you'll need to "modify" the front shift rod. Either with a lump hammer, or notch it and keep the shift rod length the same.
2. Yep. Put some pics up and we'll see if we can help.
3. Yep.

Welcome to the world of modified VWs, where we [think we] know better than VWs own exhaustive R&D Dept. ;)

Any chance of some pics? I know it's tight but I had none of these issues with my T2D one

Latest posts