Late bay steering box conversion

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K@rlos

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia pop-top
Right, the steering box on my westy is getting worse & worse due to a worn steering box :( and I should be fitting my big motor in the next month or so and I want the steering to be spot on. Fitting a decent LHD steering box is proving to be somewhat of a challenge :? I'm now looking at doing the late bay conversion which will guarantee good steering with a new box and the 74 onwards boxes have a better internal design. Can anyone tell me or send some photos of the work involved please?

Thanks
Karl

I have just fitted a new left hand box to my bay,if you like to phone me 07802365920 i can tell you what i found.

Deno67 said:
I have just fitted a new left hand box to my bay,if you like to phone me 07802365920 i can tell you what i found.

Cheers fella :D will ring tomorrow after work.

radish did this last year, details here and on his gallery thread

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So just to clarify, what is needed apart from a new late steering box?

this is what you need
1 late bay box,1 late bay pitman arm with big washer you can make a spreader plate. i don't think you can buy the arm new so check latebay.com, ebay or megabug if you want to pay £30 and get it fast.

basic tools along with a ball joint spliter, angle grinder with new and worn disc. welder too.
i read you can beat the front valance but as no one could provide a pic, i couldn't get anyone to supply any pics at all so i looked at it for ages before i did it.

i drove to bigbang last weekend, I'll be honest i had steering issues but it had nothing to do with the box. the steering damper was catching because my air shocks didn't have enough air for clearance.
we removed the dampner and filled with air and it was a much smoother safer drive.

Cool, wish I'd have known, could have had a look at the weekend!

Cheers for the replies fella's but I've got hold of another early bay box which I'll rebuild.

Karl

I ended up buying a late LHD box with a view to changing it for the MOT but it turned out to be a weak drag link so I didn't bother. Think I'm gonna keep it and fit it and do a steering box raise at some point, unless anyone else needs one in which case might consider selling.

This has been resolved for me... Brought another EB box and refurbed it :mrgreen:

How much are EB steering boxes roughly? as I think I could do with doing the same as yourself...refurb an old one.

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Guess it varies mate. Give £50 for mine, wasn't badly worn but I thought I'd do it anyway. I'm fitting my new 1 tomorrow, you can buy the old 1 if you want.

Who refurbed your replacement one?

Foz said:
Who refurbed your replacement one?

Me, got new bits machined. Cost a fortune :lol: I've seen people mention a few places on here that do them though

Latest posts