leisure batteries, maybe of use to some but i have some Q's

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevenhewkin91

Reaction score
Hi all done a little drawing to show the layout i want my leisure system to look like. can anyone suggest any other options/ better fuse ratings ect?

heres the drawing:

and here is the items i intend on using.

leisure battery 70A/H- £48.99 online
http://www.hardwarexpress.co.uk/70ah-leisure-battery-12v-deep-cycle-marine-battery-2709-p.asp?gclid=CITZvs2H17gCFTLMtAodlhgAYg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

split charge relay- £12.99 eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIACE-SELF-SWITCHING-VOLTAGE-SENSING-SPLIT-CHARGE-RELAY-12V-30-AMP-/181160780311?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2a2e062217#ht_2477wt_1398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fuse box- 1 input to 6 output- £12.49- eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390580273031?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2317wt_1160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

12V socket- £3.75 X2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Waterproof-Socket-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Cigarette-Lighter-Accessory-Adaptor-/260965260790?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cc2bdddf6#ht_2257wt_1398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

12v light with switch - £15.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-20-led-strip-tube-light-lamp-built-in-switch-warm-white-575mm-long-MOTORAMA-/321174902526?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item4ac78416fe#ht_655wt_1160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

standard single din head unit with a 30w x 4 output.

100 watt inverter with a single socket so i cant imagine it drawing that much current?

are my approximated current values about right?

look forward to everyones opinions.

cheers

You probably want to add a trickle charger wired up to leisure batt and powered thorough mains hook up socket.

What leisure batteries are you all fitting (Hi-jack).
I'm after a decent sized battery as mines spent..
Cheers & sorry (free bump).

Why put the LB fuse box under the bed? I always put the LB fusebox under the dash next to the OG box. Then you can just swop internal lights, radio etc wire straight to the LB box without miles of additional wiring to the bed. It has the added advantage of all the fuses being in the same location.

i have no need to be switching between main and leisure battery. i will still be able to use all the equipment running of the leisure battery whilst driving so dont see the need to be able to switch it between fuse boxes.

if i locate alot of the stuff under the bed.
A- its hidden
B- i can locate alot of the equipment together nice and neatly i.e inverter leisure battery fuse box ect.

Mines in the buddy seat. Depends how many feeds you need off the existing FB really.
If you have it up front you've got far longer run for the power cable from the LB.
I say put it somewhere with a bit of space.

My point is that most of the circuits that you want to connect to the LB are already there at the front of the bus so why rewire them all to under the bed? You just need one fused 6mm wire from the LB to the front mounted LB box, then remove the terminals from the OG box and push them on to the LB box. I did this on our westy and saved loads of time and wire. The new LB box is right next to the OG box and can't be seen without lying on the cab floor.

Having the LB box in the cab saves having to empty bedding etc if a fuse blows - and is it really safe to have a fuse box buried in stored stuff?

I've installed the whole leisure setup twice now in the van - the first was like this:

buswiring.jpg

When I replaced the interior I put the 240v fusebox & RCD, charger and main LB fuse box under the buddy seat as this was the closest point to the westie hookup point that I used for 240 in - the 240v fusebox and LB fuse box mount on the inside uprights at the back of the seat so don't take up too much space at all,

I had to run a wire to the leisure battery so put in a 4 blade fusebox under the bench seat, from this my LED strip lights are powered an a volt meter - it's handy under here as I also have a LED light for under the bed

I've then put a 4 blade fuse box behind the dash for stereo, sockets e.t.c. - I also agree that putting it behind the dash is easier for wiring in accessories e.t.c. but likewise under the bed is handy (my amp and speakers where also in there) and you'll need to run front to back anyway so makes a convenient route for the wiring- so my answer is both is fine, and as long as you use a decent gauge wire, decent covered fusebox and correct rated fuses then it's not a problem at all having it under the bed, mines right in the corner so shouldn't get crushed

Just a comment on the inverter, I found that when camped I generally got 240v hookup - running the inverter is quite an inefficient way to generate power, much more efficient to go 12v - the only time I use 240v is for my heater :) - and then it would fry the inverter so can only be run on hookup, I've still got the inverter but never used it so didn't bother fitting back in

If you are camping mainly on battery without 240v hookup then I'd still recommend going 12v for everything and ditching the inverter, unless you want it for just in case and completeness, but worth working out the load on it and how long it would drain the battery as I've found 240v isn't really required and use hookup for charging my LB and running everything off that

Latest posts