Mater from San Lorenzo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dirty Harry said:
8) You may feel like "the lone ranger" overthere in the land of slammers........ :mrgreen:

Haha yeah don't think I've seen another raised bus around my way D/H, even stock is rare!! Id love a powerful slammed panel bus but don't get the logic of doing it with a camper. As you eloquently put it on your thread Westys are meant to be adventurous, anything other than stock height or higher would not get into some of the places I go without bottoming out.

I have hit a slight problem and do have a minor rub on full right hand down on the right side. I haven't investigated it yet but I'm sure its nothing that a butty bits wide 5 spacer won't sort out. If I go down that route I guess it will have to be done on all corners? The only variable that it may be is the shocks I'm using but will update when I know whats what. Some Koni's are on the list of future upgrades so may even do them sooner rather than later.

I did have that rub to the far right too, it was touching the swaybar a little, i mounted a HD swaybar and it is ok now! i think they are bend different as a stock one.
A HD swaybar and koni's are just perfect!!
Cornering like a sportscar now :mrgreen:

Cool, thanks for the info. I think id rather do that than over come the rub with spacer's. Tbh though its so minor that I'm in no rush with it but it can go on the list of to do's for sure

Sehr cool. What size are those tires? Along with limited slip differential it would be unstoppable offroad..

1961bluebug said:
Sehr cool. What size are those tires? Along with limited slip differential it would be unstoppable offroad..
Thanks BB, The tyres are BF Goodrich AT 215/75/15, they should hopefully get me up the grassy wet slope's of British campsite's whilst still looking cool :lol: Not had a chance to get off road yet to test them out but won't be long I'm sure!!

Dirty Harry said:
I did have that rub to the far right too, it was touching the swaybar a little, i mounted a HD swaybar and it is ok now!
Did you fit this Empi one Harry that VWH sell? https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC4119611/sway-bar-kit-t2-68-79-front/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CornishSilver said:
Dirty Harry said:
I did have that rub to the far right too, it was touching the swaybar a little, i mounted a HD swaybar and it is ok now!
Did you fit this Empi one Harry that VWH sell? https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/AC4119611/sway-bar-kit-t2-68-79-front/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mm... no pic on my cell phone, i think it was a empi one but not sure about the neoprene blocks as mine have red polyurethane blocks!?
This is the one i have https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/baywindowbus/front-axle-steering/springs-stabilizers/21395/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dirty Harry said:
CornishSilver said:
Dirty Harry said:

Mm... no pic on my cell phone, i think it was a empi one nut not sure anout the neoprene blocks as mine have red polyurethane blocks!?
This is the one i have https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/baywindowbus/front-axle-steering/springs-stabilizers/21395/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cool Thanks for that, they look the same to me. Thought I best check as I'm sure the rub will be in the same area, makes sense to go for the same proven bar :)

In for his 500 mile service, Heavy duty roll bar and winter heating set up

IMG_1137_zpsdukounyu.jpg

Looking great bud.
Recon gearbox for me next, but I do fancy the Heavy Duty roll bar soon as I do notice the early bay rolls more than my old late.

Keep the pics coming and look forward to your thoughts on the upgrades :)

Robcod said:
Looking great bud.
Recon gearbox for me next, but I do fancy the Heavy Duty roll bar soon as I do notice the early bay rolls more than my old late.

Keep the pics coming and look forward to your thoughts on the upgrades :)
Cheers Rob. I have a slight intermittent crunch selecting 3rd so a gearbox will be on the cards for me to at some point, I won't be needing the freeway flyer that was planned though. It will be interesting to see what difference the roll bar makes, I only got it because my wheels were rubbing on the stock one. Early reports from the garage suggest its worse than the stock but they checked it on the ramp when I last spoke to them. Not getting it back today now as they found a problem with the fuel pump so I got a new one coming to be fit monday. It will be nice to be able to put my foot down now!!

Those tyres look great! Is there any increase in road noise?

I went for 195/80r15 8 plys but your bus makes me think I should have gone for some BFGoodriches

Stock height is where its at :D

Can you measure the ground to poptop distance please ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sam@bugeyeddesigns said:
Those tyres look great! Is there any increase in road noise?

I went for 195/80r15 8 plys but your bus makes me think I should have gone for some BFGoodriches

Stock height is where its at :D
Cheers sam

No I didn't notice any road noise gain but I had a engine upgrade at the same time and that is noisier than what I'm used to, so i may not have noticed even if there was. Noticeable better handling than my previous 14'' set up. Things to consider if you or anyone reading this to consider are, , gear ratio (legs are a lot longer now especially 3rd) which happened to work well with my 1776, but I don't think it would have been good with a stock box on a stock engine, 10% speedo change and a slightly reduced turning arc.

High is the new low :msn4:

*Sam* said:

No problem at all Sam, you will have to bear with me though because I can't find any of my 3 tape measure's atm!! A little bit worrying as the wife's probably been measuring something up :|

*Sam* said:

Here you go mate, its 81'' or 206cm approx unloaded. I wouldn't be looking at going any closer than 2.1m at goal post style car parks. The centre of the roof where the seal is looks a tad higher but not more than 4cm I wouldn't have thought.

I think these wheels can be run on 1.5'' wagon west dropped spindles but don't take my word for it. The SXUXRXF bus on Samba I think has these fit although in not 100%

Latest posts