MPG - Help needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredamens

Reaction score
What is the average miles per gallon people are getting out of their buses?

I am running a stock 1971 set up and am getting about <15 MPG, is this standard, if not suggested possible improvements to make it better would be great.

Thank you

Fred

less than 15mpg :shock:

feck in hell you really need to get on top of that some serious issues there......sure your not just pouring the stuff onto the road surface as you drive.....

1st stop chap is to check all your fuel lines cos it sounds like you have a leak from somewhere :shock:

Sorry just re-read that response didnt mean to sound condescending......

yeah thats bad, even a badly adjusted engine and carb would struggle to burn that quantity and not be obvious that somethings awry.....

Fuel leaks, carb setup, general engine setup, tyre pressures, brakes and excessive luggage and drag...... Oh and a lead foot....

I was getting around 26mpg on a fully loaded camper, on motorway cruising at between 55 and 60mph on the clock.

Stock 1600Sp with 30 pict 3 solex.

They are thirsty buggers, but 15mpg is double shizer.My 1776 gene berg twin cam does about 25-30 mpg at 60mph cruising. Range about 300 miles on £60

My completely stock 1600tp averaged 27 (uk) mpg over 400 miles on the weekend, despite my not having time to set up the carb up properly meaning it ticked over well over 1000rpm. That was on a mix of motorway, A roads and B roads. I'm sure if I had set up the carb properly before driving for 12 hours, I'd have got better fuel economy - I've previously averaged around 30mpg.

Canterburyfour, you are averaging around 20 MPG when you convert that into Uk gallons, that isn't too good even for a hightop :?

I have 3 vans on the road and they all do around 30 mpg on a run. If you are getting less then it MAY be carb/timing/plugs/points/ tappet adjustment problems but at 15 mpg it's more likely you have at least one burnt valve. So adjust the tappets to 6 thou cold and get the compressions tested asap. You should have at least 100 psi on all cylinders. If nolt then it's engine out and new valves and guides. Don't just keep driving it - burnt valves often snap and wreck the pistons and case.

Latest posts