my 2nd attempt at earlybay ownership

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks great bus buddy and id love to hear your reviews on the butts bits and the red 9 its on my bucket list :)

update on getting my red9 fitted. It really is very straight forward and everything lines up perfectly. Very nicely made. So far there are only a couple of minor things which in my opinion could be improved.

old beam dropped off with the help of leon. The best type of earlybay buyer, one that helps you get the bits off your van! :D

13897107408_a6ec1c0f99_z.jpg

first you have to loosely fit the 2 end plates. I had to grind the bracket for the brake line off the chassis to fit it. The brake line isn't long enough to reach the new mounting point so will have to replace

13897105890_5eea298158_z.jpg

then I fit the top cross member and tighten up. At this stage your supposed to put shims behind the end plate if they don't fit flush against the chassis but mine sat perfect so no need.

14084180324_e986b7f22d_z.jpg

Tightened the end plates and then fit the bottom cross member

13897076477_1439521ac5_z.jpg

then fit the track rod ends. This is one thing which I think could be slightly better. The nut doesn't fully engage down to the nylon, could have done with a couple of mm machined off the spindle. I might go back over this and drop a little Loctite on it.

13897105230_dd4ebc1245_z.jpg

bluenose said:
The best type of earlybay buyer, one that helps you get the bits off your van! :D

Desperate type ;) .

All looking good :mrgreen:

Very envious I'd love the red9 setup for mine :)

--------------------------------------
Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

made some progress fitting the red9 over the weekend

got the bevel box bolted in place. It is a ali box which bolts to a steel adaptor plate which bolts to the chassis

14113118871_920c48aed0_z.jpg

then connecting rod attaches to the steering rack

13929746269_2062eaee64_z.jpg

Then the other end has a slidey universal joint to connect to the bevel box. I had some probs at this stage as the rod seemed slightly too long. I had to undo the steering rack to get it on but then the rod was fouling the universal joint when it rotated. I chamfered the end slightly with a dremel to clearance it then it was all good.

13929873778_06168399a4_z.jpg

got the hubs and brakes on

14113332832_fa758941ee_z.jpg

and now back on the ground :D

14116876574_5b84dc05b8_z.jpg

Just need to get the back end done now

mike202 said:
red 9 kit looks nice, :) and will probably make the handling better. Are you fitting a servo for the brakes?

cheers dude,

not bothering with servo, would be something else to go wrong!

right I suppose that's true, the red nine beam is not going to make the van go faster so there's no need.

I sometimes think it would be nice to have one, on a longer journey involving hills! I sometimes feel like Indiana Jones on that mine wagon ride :lol:

Gave the bus it's first test flight today, ran it up to the paint sprayers to get all the white bits re-done

14270846121_9410322756_c.jpg

How was the ride/steering with the red9 beam fitted? Would you recommend it?

Been looking at these for a while now but something else always crops up to rob me of any cash!

Also looking at fitting the red 9 kit. i have a slamwerks king and link at the mo. Hows the ride and steering?

bit early to give full opinion on the red9 yet as I've only driven it about 5 miles to the sprayers but initially it seems good.

easy to fit and looks a well made bit of kit

the steering is lighter and more comfortable. It was riding harder than stock but not unpleasant and pot holes were no problem. I haven't had a chance to play around with the coilovers yet so I might try them on a softer setting and see how it feels

Steering feels a vast improvement. I can let go of the wheel and it doesn't drift an inch. Feels very stable, I was hitting corners quick and it was solid. I wanted to see how far I could push it but drifting a bus isn't on my bucket list! I felt like I was driving a yacht if I hit over 40mph before.

Couple of things I noticed were on full lock it felt like it was dragging a wheel slightly but I think I just need to take it in to get the alignment done properly. Also that the steering wheel doesn't self centralise if I let go of it after turning, it will just stay where I put it but I cannot remember if stock setup is like this.

The late bay disc setup is a vast improvement to the drums.

All in all a good initial test run :D

My steering which is standard EB vintage type self centers - however I think that has something to do with the steering damper? Does the red9 have one of those?
Bus looks great by the way!! Cant wait to have a good look at a show! 8)

Self centre. This is the shopping wheel efect, as soon as you sort your tracking it will do what its supposed to ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

lots of work done with no updates but finally on the road, taken for maiden voyage the weekend, about 80 mile round trip without issue, happy days :D

time to get some use out of her before the winter months set in

14654865752_394786f7bc_c.jpg

Resto-raider said:
Looking good. Even with two different types of rims.

haha yea I know, haven't made my mind up on wheels yet. Want to get some use while the summer days are here then sort that in the winter.

Latest posts