My 69 Microbus Resto in Oz

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshB

Reaction score
After lurking on these forums for some time and soaking up the knowledge I felt it was time to show you what I am up to in Australia - hope no-one is upset by all the pics in the first post but at least it gets it all out there!!

And here it is - a 1969 Microbus with 1600 SP engine and hand-brushed paintjob - currently in the midst of a long term resto - this pic was about 3 years ago

My-Van.jpg

The following posts are essentially a summary of my progress to date, cut and pasted from the Aussie Forums I use.

First up, there was lots of rust easily visible in a few places

Behind the bumper
Rust1.jpg

Under the window seal
Rust2.jpg

I guess I sort of expected to find this so was not really worried- and these were the worst two bits - everything else was pretty solid – or so I thought

Stripped at home and ready for blasters

DSC00059.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

And here she is after blasting and priming

Prime-Side.jpg

Prime-Int.jpg

Prime-Cabin.jpg

Prime-Back.jpg

A bit more rust was then uncovered so off to the panel beaters after ordering some AH Schofield panels from a local source.

New Lower front and steps in place

Kombi-front.jpg

Kombi-pass-step.jpg

Kombi-driver-step.jpg

Plus a new passenger floor

Kombi-front-floor.jpg

And from underneath - I needed new inner panel too

Kombi-under-front-floor.jpg

Repair to floor at back of seats

Kombi-floor-repair.jpg

And at the front of the passenger wheel arch

Kombi-wheel-arch.jpg

New battery tray, plus a view from the rear of the outside

Kombi-battery.jpg

Kombi-right-rear.jpg

Plus the other rear side - repair of some rusty accident damage - bit of filler needed here!

Kombi-rear-corner.jpg

How does that window sill look now(check back to a previous pic for rust damage)

Kombi-window-channel.jpg

And side view showing bumper damage area just aft of sliding door cut out

Kombi-side.jpg

I stripped roof myself in the garage – what a long day – decided it needed it as the painter said there were humidity blisters in the old paint, which otherwise looked OK

kombiroof.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

The back off to panel shop for straightening and painting

Kombi-tilt2.jpg

Kombi-tilt1.jpg

Here she is primed

Kombi-front-1.jpg

Kombi-back.jpg

And now the interior is painted SAVANNAH BEIGE! Yeah, I know – another SB, but there are not many of them out here (only know of 1 other at the moment and it’s a late one) and I love the period colours

kombi-interiorpaint1.jpg

kombi-interiorpaint3.jpg

kombi-interiorpaint2.jpg

kombi-interiorpaint4.jpg

And then it came home - all painted! I am really pleased with the colour – makes me look forward to getting things put back into / on it

painted-front2.jpg

painted-front1.jpg

painted-roof.jpg

Painted-rear.jpg

Next step was to work on the underside and the mechanicals

Spent several long and painful days of wirebrushing and cleaning the van, lying on my back on a mechanics trolley as the van was still at floor level, then painting with Rust Bullet

vanUpdate10.jpg

I painted the Air intakes in crinkle finish black

Vent3.jpg

Started to soundproof the interior with a product called Soundpad - weighs about 2kg/m2 and dampens panel vibration - 1mm thick - think Dynamat but cheaper

vanUpdate9.jpg

vanUpdate11.jpg

Also did the roof with strips of soundpad (see front) and then a closed cell foam with foil facing - about 1 cm thick for insulation

VanUpdate8.jpg

Here is my 'new' adjustable beam waiting to be put back in – at this time I was waiting for new ball joints to be pressed into the arms

VanUpdate3.jpg

Here's a pic of the finished roof sound-proofing

SP3.jpg

I am presently waiting for the headlining to be finished in an original style material

Here's the dropped front end

Bus-Nov1-1.jpg

and the rear end taken apart for new wheel bearings and a rebuild of the brakes, plus lowering 1 outer spline

Bus-Nov2.jpg

and the front with fresh air vents and grill back in and one indicator

Bus-Nov3.jpg

finished rebuilding the rear end - new wheel cylinders and brakes lines, and bearings too - also lowered one outer spline and painted in rust proof paint and body deadener - that all took a while!!

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

Rebuilt the handbrake - new cables and handle and fresh coat of paint

IMG_0623.jpg

Plus managed to source a pedal box so that got a clean and paint with Killrust

IMG_0778.jpg

Next I turned my hand to the interior - first up some wiring - what a nightmare - made a hell of a lot easier by good labelling when pulling apart - still a bit of a mess but need to test it out before wrapping things up in tape etc - installed new cd player and alarm, plus got the dash bits back together - installed ambulance fans, new pipe for the washers, clean and polish things up - you get the drift

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

And started to cut out the interior panels (you can see some under the dash above also), which are now all finished and waiting for covers when I have some cash

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

Original style Rubber mats around seat base

IMG_0786.jpg

Started to do a bit of the headlining - hear is the first bit done – as I said, I am waiting for the trimmer to come in and glue the main bit up

IMG_0787.jpg

reinstalled the fuel tank after POR15 interior treatment and a coat of Killrust on the outside - new rubber for protection around strap and new breather pipe - next up is the bulkhead cover to hide the nice paintwork - sometimes I winder why I bother doing certain things to the degree I have - but at least I know it is done properly

IMG_0791.jpg

And now I have the wheels back with tyres and whitewalls - really pleased with the way they turned out - still need the trim rings and for the van to settle a bit when the gearbox and engine goes in

new-wheels.jpg

new-wheels2.jpg

In the second pic you can see that the headlining is up and ready for sticking down

Got some more trim in place around the seats - the old stuff came up great with a bit of a clean and some vinyl treatment -
bus3.jpg

plus put some rubber tubing around the speaker holes the PO put in - edges were a bit sharp and untidy - just used some old flyscreen rubber and a bit of superglue - makes it look a lot neater
bus2.jpg

And got the wiring sorted in the engine bay - just cleaned it up a bit
bus4.jpg

Got the back door on - waiting for the locks to be rekeyed before I can shut it properly - badge temp in place - plus some lovely new replacement tail-lights
bus5.jpg

And the sliding door too - although it needs a bit of adjusting still - and fitted the front windows (including my own tinting in a charcoal colour) - that was a bit of a task to get all the seals in without scratching paintwork or tint, but the windows do wind up and down perfectly
bus8.jpg

Here is a pic of the interior colours I have chosen - painted the viewable bits of the seat frame - something I assumed the trimmer would have done but hadn't - the colours are going to suit the van perfectly - interior trim will match too - hope to have this done soon
bus7.jpg

And I started to trim the 'easier' trim panels myself, plus bought some front carpet
bus6.jpg

As i said all locks are away being keyed the same, and I am in the process of rebuilding the 1/4 windows - full frame pull apart and repaint then refit with new seals - this is a real bitch of a job - probably the hardest thing about the resto so far - the new seals seem good but are not quite 100% correct so it is a struggle to get the frames back together - anyway I am 2/3 there!

I have just bought some carpet to cut to size before getting the trimmer to edge, plus sanded back the primed bumpers which will head back to the painter this week for painting in white. That’s it for now – love the other resto’s happening in the UK – good inspiration - JOSH

Nice work there Josh - it looks to be a really high standard too! I particularly like the crinkle finish inside the rear vents!

Keep up the progress - it really looks like you're getting there!

;)

That really is a great job, I have always wondered, and it might be a silly question but how do you get to the inside of those vents?

Nice work! You've picked some fine looking colours for sure! Looking forward to seeing more progress pics soon.

how do you get to the inside of those vents?

Thanks for the feedback folks :D I like to think I am doing a good job to save this lovely old beast

Spraying the vents is relatively straight forward - just need lots of masking tape - I used a low-tack variety, stick it over all vent divider bits and then use paper and sheets to mask up the rest - I chose to use a crinkle finish paint (used on cylinder heads in some cars) so that the surface didn't need to be perfect first as sanding in there would have been too difficult

then you just spray at all different angles and build up coat after coat until it is all covered - as it dries it gets the crinkle / wrinkle finish and you can't tell what the underlying surface was like - looks 100% better than before - I will see if I can dig up some more pics - after that I sprayed fish-oil into the bits of the vent that are not visible so that they don't rust out

JOSH

WOW :shock: Just seen this thread and well impressed............. :wink:

Beautiful van!
and did i spie some Schofield panels?

Thanks Guys for all the positives

Yeah, Schofield panels all round!

Ant, your van was what forced a last minute change of colour - was going to be white over blue but saw yours and thought it just had to be that - been watching your suspension woes - why can't things just go right?

Stay tuned for more pics soon - got the interior panels trimmed - just installing them and will take some more snaps - also working on carpet and have the middle and rear seats at the trimmers now - going to spend some dosh on engine goodies soon - have a deadline for October but hope to have it finished much sooner

JOSH

Thanks again for the props - thought it time for an update

Still more progress being made - got the keys and locks back and have put them in place - really struggling to get the sliding door working well - spent so much time on it trying to get the lock / catch / handle set-up working

So here are some more pics to tantalise - first up a pic of the floor with vents bolted in and sealed
IMG_1725.jpg

Nothing too exciting there - but now I've been able to finish the floor heater vents, stick down the carpet and mount the rear seat belts - also got floor and rear area carpets cut, backed and edge sewn (plus a sneaky peak of the interior panels - more to come)
IMG_1735.jpg

Got the seats back from the trimmers, so after painting the mounting hardware in they go, plus those lovely interior panels and chrome seat belts
IMG_1746.jpg

ANd here is a pic of me and Charlie testing them out!
IMG_1750.jpg

From behind you can see the side panels and panels behind front seats - plus the speakers mounted - by the time the side panels are in place properly the inserts should line up nicely - not any easy task when dealing with old speaker holes cut in with tin snips!
IMG_1748.jpg

Next up temporarily fitted the middle seat and put in the front seat belts - you get a better view of the carpet in these pics too - just bought a roll off the trimmer and cut it to shape - he then edge sewed it and I glued the compressed cotton underlay in place - then cut holes for seat and seatbelt fixtures - sounds simple but takes hours
IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

And final pic for now - my new motor - decided to put it on the bench to start bolting on the ancillaries - again sounds simple but it is only when you are part way through trying to lift an engine onto a 900mm high bench by yourself that you realise that it prob is not that great an idea - got it there in the end!
IMG_1758.jpg

Ordered most everything else I need the other day - exhaust, heaters, alternator, dissie, clutch, tin, etc - it is close now - I have about 2 months as my deadline so need to keep on it - cheers - JOSH

Latest posts