My European Tour

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic report and gutted about the breakin - always in the back of my mind how easy they are to get into :(
Not going to let my wife read this, if she reads about the breakin, that's my trip in the van off for next year.... ;)

Well since my last update we have been through Greece, into Turkey and even to Asia, then up through Bulgaria where our Alternator pulley exploded, through Romania where our welded alternator pulley fell apart then our JK repro pulley failed, through Hungary and we are currently in Bratislava Slovakia for one night only shortly I am going outside to changce the oil and then we will be heading to Vienna and Austria for a week or two.

I cant be arsed to write loads so I will let the pics do the talking, there are a few...

Our first night in Greece camped on a beach
DSC01669.jpg

Monemvasia, South Pelopennese
DSC01714.jpg

An awesome drive from Olympia to Kalamata, I think
DSC01717.jpg

I found it strange to think of people skiing in Greece but apparently they do
DSC01688.jpg

A lovelz riverside camp gave for a refreshing batrh in the morning
DSC01693.jpg

Not sure if this was some guys garage or a boneyard...
DSC01698.jpg

a couple of m,z fave pics from South Peloponese
DSC01702.jpg

DSC01707.jpg

I set a new PB at the 192m sprint at Olympia :-[
DSC01671.jpg

At our southerlz most point of travel in Greece
DSC01725.jpg

and some Greek architecture you may recognise in Athens
DSC01734.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

DSC01728.jpg

Greece involved visiting a lot of ancient ruins of temples etc and beach camping ;D
My birthday camp even provided some decking
DSC01755.jpg

We were only in Turkey for a couple of night so not many pictures to show, Istanbul
DSC01765.jpg

Car parks in Istanbul when you want to get your van out...
DSC01767.jpg

Bulgaria we whizzed through but we did visit seom Thorcian kings tombs, which were closed so all zou could see were giant molehills
DSC01781.jpg

and at the top of the mountain range that splits the country into north and south
DSC01784.jpg

Before we left we visited Veilko Tarvano which was quite impressive
DSC01789.jpg

DSC01791.jpg

No idea where we were, other than on our way out of Bulgaria but I love this pic...
DSC01806.jpg

Onwards to Romania which has been our favorite country so far and in Bucharest saw this beaut outside the Hilton
DSC01807.jpg

and this round the corner
DSC01809.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

later met some Romanian guys who said vans were supplied with a lesser powered watercooled engine over there. We ran out of gas and had to cook over fires for a while
DSC01813.jpg

DSC01816.jpg

While we waited for a new alternator pulley we were forced to camp three nights be a lake here
DSC01829.jpg

was difficult ;) but we explored a monestary
DSC01827.jpg

and walked up a mountain
DSC01833.jpg

where I proposed to Nic
DSC01830.jpg

she said YES ;D
With the alternator pulley sorted we also treated the van to some new shoes
DSC01837.jpg

and moved onto Sibiu for a celebratory dinner as it was Nics birthday two days later
DSC01851.jpg

Just outside Sibiu there is a museum of Romanian culture from the last 2 decades which was interesting if you are into that sort of thing, then we moved onto Brasov to explore Bran and learn about Vlad the Impaler and to go bear hunting :eek:
Camped in Bran after too long without a shower
DSC01899.jpg

then explored the gorge at Zanesti
DSC01909.jpg

Before heading back to Brasov to pick up the second alternator pulley and walked down one of the narrowest street in Europe, Rope Street. Not sure what made it a street as opposed to an alley?
DSC01892.jpg

found a campsite on a mountain ridge, by far our best wild camp from the last four months
DSC01911.jpg

With the van back to full running order we headed to Hungary with 8 days to get to Vienna to meet my mum. On the waz out of Romania we stumbled across a local village fete so stopped to buy some lunch and some honey
DSC01916.jpg

DSC01917.jpg

We found a big car boot the following day and Nic wanted to explore her gypsie side
DSC01918.jpg

Into Hungary and my main aim was to visit a bath house in Budapest, so while it pissed it down outside and Nic went wandering round the city I spent 3 hours swimming, saunaing and steaming myself in the Gellert baths :cool:
DSC01921.jpg

After Budapest the wind really picked up and blew us all over the place and blew the temperature down. We had bought a 4 day vignette so only
drove through Hungary without much motivation to get out of the mild temperture in the van into the chilly winds outside.
Now in Bratislava with snow falling, I have bought some foil sided insulation foam ansd turned the back of the van into a panel van top try and keep the temperature higher when camped.

Setting off now to Austria then will head to Swityerland either via Czech and Germany or not, then up to Belgium and Amsterdam before arriving back in the UK next month...

Lets hope for an unusually warm autumn.

Some great pics there, shame you didnt spend a bit more time in Hungary there are some beautiful places to visit there as well (my Mrs is Hungarian so been there a few times ;) )

Congratulations on the engagement 8) , was the ring made out of the broken pulleys? :lol:

Ace report! and congrats on the proposal 8)

:shock: Congrats on the engagement 8)

Great pics again - me and the missus look foward to the photo updates :D

Take care and hope the rest of the trip goes good :mrgreen:

Words fail me, but how about AWESOME, INSPIRING, BRAVE for starters.

Great to see a Bus being used for what it was designed for and well done on the engagement !!!

Now then andy .. your just showing off now mate ! :D

.. Big congrats to you and Nic .. :party0006:

Well done guys ..

All the best Hilly

Congratulations to you both.
Fantastic pics looks like an awsome trip,I always look forward to your updates so please keep them coming.

Congratulations on your engagement :)

Its really nice to see a camper being used the way it was originally intended and I hope many others will be inspired by your trip to go and have more adventures in their vans too.

We are certainly looking forward to next year even more now.

I have really enjoyed reading about your epic trip and looking at all the pictures you posted. Its like having a little mini holiday online. :)

Thank you for posting.

Well, we're back in Yorkshire now so time for the final update:

The cold temperatures by this point meant we were driving in the mornings to dry the van out from overnight/morning condensation; spending the day walking round wherever we were then driving again in the evenings to warm the van up before bed.

We headed from Bratislava into Austria to meet my mum in Vienna and spent a long weekend seeing the sights and being treated to some nice food ;D Then we headed upto Prague for a wander round. Didn't see anymore of the Czech Republic but just as we were approaching the border we got pulled by the police for a routine check where they proceeded to x-ray the van. Headed over to Nuremburg (where I got confused with Nurburg - so we weren't able to drive/race round the track :-[ ) then onto Wurzberg to follow the 'Romantische Strasse' south. We broke off the Romantic Road early and headed to Munich where we lost a day in the Hofbrauhaus drinking too many steins of lager.

From here we headed back into Austria and visited Salzberg where Nic enjoyed giving me a Sound of Music tour, then we headed to Innsbruck and treated ourselves to a 2 night stay in a guest house at the foot of the Stubai Glacier where I unsuccessfully tried to teach Nic to snowboard, still I had fun in the afternoon when I left her to drink Gluhwein while I tanked about like an idiot trying to get as many runs in before the lifts closed!!

On to Switzerland and somehow missed Lichtenstein and didn't realise until we were an hour past so didn't bother going back. Camped outside Zurich but didn't go inot the city, instead drove through Luzern and then Lausanne before driving round the lake to Geneva (which has the longest wooden bench in the world at 126metres!!) We headed north back through France stoping at a wineshop just north of Dijon to stock up and found some great sparkling wine to celebrate our engagement with family & friends. The next few days were very foggy so scenery was not appreciated and driving was tedious but we headed up to Luxembourg, then Brussels and Brugge before Amsterdam as our final destination (so again we treated ourselves to a hotel :-[

Back in Yorkshire we're staying at Nic's parents for a while. Having covered 15300miles on somewhere around 2500 litres of petrol (I did record it but dont have it to hand) we acheived 25.3MPG, used two sets of spark plugs, 12 litres of oil, 4 fan belts, 3 alternator pulleys and a new set of tyres. We're very proud of how the van managed the journey, and if not for the cold we would have happily stayed out for a lot longer!

We would like to see more of Eastern Europe, Romania was easily our favourite place, but so many places we only touched the surface of.

The famous Astronomical Clock in Prague
DSC01931.jpg

and the view from the top of the tower
DSC01933.jpg

I think this was called Gold Street in Prague, looked like a theatre set, it was tiny
DSC01945.jpg

Getting x-rayed
DSC01948.jpg

Wurzberg was beautiful, I didn't expect Germany to be nice...
DSC01951.jpg

...and the Romantic Road was a little sppoilt by the fog, but I think the towns along the route are why it is romantic
DSC01954.jpg

Some great entertainment in the Hofbrauhaus
DSC01966.jpg

Can't comment much on the food, but the beer was spot on too!
DSC01967.jpg

The van handled another mountain climb well
DSC01976.jpg

Didn't make it to the snow park, not all lifts were open, but got to the top of the glacier
DSC01972.jpg

Innsbruck itself is beautiful with the mountains making a breath taking backdrop
DSC01983.jpg

The Swiss lakes were also postcard perfect, Luzern, Lausanne and Lake Geneva
DSC01987.jpg

DSC01985.jpg

DSC01989.jpg

Chateau Chillon on Lake Geneva looked awesome as it appeared out of the mist as we approached it
DSC01998.jpg

We reached Luxembourg on a Sunday so nothing was open tho the old town sits perched atop a u-bend in a gorge which gave it a strong defensive position, and now adds to its spectacular appearance (oh and by now I had grown a 'face scarf')
DSC01999.jpg

Brussells, Brugge and Amsterdam were all spectacularly beautiful places, but all our pictures were on Nic's camera and all photos on here have been from my phone, so that is all I have. Oh go on then, I'll throw in a crap one from Amsterdam...

DSC02005.jpg

If you want to see more picture feel free to have a look at my photobucket account: http://s536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/CaptainBenyon/Travels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another good read and great pics.
Can't believe the miles you put in and the van ran so well too which is a bonus 8)

Taking a well earned rest now I should imagine ;)

Welcome back :mrgreen:

Truly stunning and very jealous.
I have been to some of the places you've been to but not in the style with which you did 8)

Bet this all seems along time ago now though?

Latest posts