My European Tour

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW Now thats what i call a trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on your engagement too she obviously a top gal!
Bet your glad to be back on sunny yorkshire now aint you!!
I'm originally from Richmond n.yorks so i know how fresh it gets..
Once again well done totally jealous & full of admiration
andymac.....from scorchio liverpool !!!!

mate this is what i think 99% of he people on here aspire to do - me included. i was meant to do something similar when i graduated 2yrs ago. i was meant to go travl from july to start of november, but things changed with my original job i had planned so had to trunkate it till september. i managed to travel around france and into italy, but only florenze, pisa, vence and lake garda. i was meant to go to rome and up to prague. not quite to the extent of your travels though.

i am planning on doing something similar in a couple of years when i am no longer tied to the company i work for and have enough money to do it.

just wondering, you travelled through summer and autumn so had to have clothes for both (i've seen pics with shorts and skiing stuff) did you take all of this with you or did you buy stuff as you went along.

also money wise, did you just have a bank account with your money in, or did you have an account that you already set up a direct debit into??

well done on a brilliant trip and enlightening us into what is possible and what the campers are meant to be used for

NaFe

congrats on the engagement 8)
loving the pics, dont know if i`ll be as brave to take my bus so far, might be lucky to go west coast or to wales :lol:

Thanks everyone for following this story, I look forward to following the threads that we have inspired when you all come back from your adventures - NaFe while your project has ground to a stop, stick your trip up, my picks make me smile and I have only been back two weeks!

Have just been tinkering with the van and have some pictures relating to the story:

Firstly, my collection of alternator pulleys. From left to right, the first is the one that came on the engine (I have every reason to believe it is OG), the inner pulley (top half in picture) shattered between the spindle and the outer edge of the pulley and if you zoom in on the picture you can see where it was welded together, then the 'square' hole in the outer pulley (bottom half in the picture) began to round off as you can see. The second set is the repro I received from JK and the spindle attached to the innner pulley was only spot welded in 4 places so came undone straight away, three days later it split as show in the picture and ate the alternator casing as shown in the picture below. The third pulley is one of my 3 spares, this particular one is from Heritage and a much more solidly put together pulley.
DSC02012.jpg

the damage to the alternator casing:
DSC02011.jpg

The insulation we applied to the van to keep us warm, firstly we fitted sun screens (the type that fit in the windscreen when parked up) to the three rear windows, then fitted some 5mm polystyrene covered with a thin sheet of aluminium (the kind of stuff that goes behind radiators in a house to reflect the heat back into the room):
DSC02014.jpg

This stopped the large windows stealing our body heat at night, then below, we bought some larger sun screens (to fit vans) and blocked off the pop top, as the fibre glass roof offered no insulation. As the roof gathered a lot of moisture the screens wouldn't stick up with tape so I had to create some support bars to hold it up:
DSC02013.jpg

Although we looked a little like a spaceship inside, we had gone far beyond being image conscious at this point!!

Latest posts