My not so New Camper!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point I realise I should have more photos!
I was finding that anytime it rained the inside of the van ended up with pools of water. Every seal on the van was hard and cracked and I cannot fit it into my garage so from this..
5resized.jpg

To this
6resized.jpg

I think the single best investment I have made!
During the car port build the mother in law was taken seriously ill so all work then stopped and it was hard to get things moving again. So nothing happened for just about a full year. In Aug 2011 a decision was made to get someone to finish the work on the welding, rewire that was needed (old loom was in a real mess) get the engine back in and through the MOT – if any money was spare a respray (the paint was some sort of house paint and could not be stripped back to the OG paint which was a shame). I had not noticed how back the sills and front steps where and after my previous welding had told me I would not be able to do the van justice.
After a couple of calls round Tim @ Roadhouse came round and took the van away and got busy..
7resized.jpg

7aresized.jpg

8resized.jpg

9resized.jpg

10resized.jpg

11resized.jpg

12resized.jpg

13resized.jpg

14resized.jpg

15resized.jpg

16resized.jpg

17resized.jpg

Engine in
18resized.jpg

Very pleased with this and it was sent off to contact of Tim’s to be painted
Primer
19resized.jpg

20resized.jpg

Painted
21resized.jpg

Back to Tim’s to be put back together
22resized.jpg

23resized.jpg

While it was at Tim’s I took the opportunity to replace the canvas.
First time inside out
24resized.jpg

Then after lots of swearing and a couple of beers, I went back and did it the right way round!!!
25resized.jpg

Few weeks later and finally sorted out the MOT, insurance and Registration it was ready to pick up
26resized.jpg

27resized.jpg

28resized.jpg

Drove it for the first time, nearly 3 years after buying it!
Tucked up back home
29.jpg

Now its time to refit the interior. I have recovered the front seats with some TMI covers and the gaffer has recovered the rear seat and buddy seat. Hopefully will get this installed this weekend.
Thanks to everyone I have spoken to, asked advice, people selling me stuff I needed – I will probally need more of that!! :eek:)
Special thanks to Tim for the work he has done, which has been excellent and he is a real good guy.
Thanks
Nick

Thanks Chris - I'm getting there slowly. How are you getting on with yours? Finished the welding?

Here are a couple of shots I took in a rare day of sunshine after I got the interior in late last year.

SAM_0722.jpg

SAM_0727.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

SAM_0724.jpg

SAM_0731.jpg

I booked the Easter weekend away following the mild spell the other week then as soon as I did it has gone really cold again. So now the next on the list is to sort out the electric hook-up now so I can run a fan heater - Not sure it was such a wise idea!! :lol:

The bus looks stunning now, very impressive work :) well worth the wait.

Interior looks very smart, and the stance is spot on! Is that 3.5" dropped spindles & adjustable spring plates? What size tyres are you running up front? :)

Matty

Looks real 8) in beige!!
Can't wait till mine's finished, might try leaving it. 2 years between updates?
See if that makes a difference?? :lol:

Wow, thanks all thats really appreciated. :oops:

Matty - Yes, 3.5" spindles and Adjustable spring plates. Its a bit soft at the front and I have just ordered some Gaz shocks to stop any rubbing - only on really bumpy roads when there are 2 up front. the tyre sizes are F - 175 65r x 15 R - 185 65r x 15. I suppose I should update the stance thread!!

Lee C - Don't let my lazyness be an excuse to not update your thread!! :lol:

Gninnam - Thanks Andy, glad you posted as you were one of the 1st to post when I first joined and warned me about hidden suprises. I certainly had a few of those. Good to see you back on yours :)

I have just given my brother a list of bits to get from his Electrician workmate so I can crack on with the hook up. Hopefully will be on it next weekend - New window in my garage to fit on Saturday and FIL birthday on Sun :evil: .

Nick

burns808 said:
Thanks Chris - I'm getting there slowly. How are you getting on with yours? Finished the welding?

Here are a couple of shots I took in a rare day of sunshine after I got the interior in late last year.

SAM_0722.jpg

SAM_0727.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

SAM_0724.jpg

SAM_0731.jpg

I booked the Easter weekend away following the mild spell the other week then as soon as I did it has gone really cold again. So now the next on the list is to sort out the electric hook-up now so I can run a fan heater - Not sure it was such a wise idea!! :lol:

Lookin really clean man! The Westy is on hold at the mo, but I should be re-starting the re-build soon. Have you got any of that white trim left? I'll be needing some soon :)

I did'nt realise you had another on the way as well!! 8)

Yeah, I have a little bit left -

SAM_0895.jpg

Just the odd 55 meters give or take a meter or so!!! :lol: Will have to pop over when your next one lands.

Nick

Time for an update, managed to get the hookup setup fitted the week before spending the Easter weekend at Kelling Heath. Really glad as the weather turned and we spent time dodging the snow & hail, keeping out of the wind. The fan heater via the hook up was on virtually 24/7!!

The area was nice -v cool steam train stopping at the park in between Sherringham and Holt. Have made plans to return later this year now the weather is better.

View from the station/stop at the site

Can recommend http://www.byfords.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Holt for food, both in the Restaurant and in the Deli/bakery. I had a really nice pizza followed by a takeaway cake!!!! :p

Following this we were off to Big Bang a few weeks later. While it was warmer than Easter the wind was cold and really went through you. Had a good time though and as a result of the cold I only took 2 pictures the whole weekend of Ash's bus!!

Next up was Stanford Hall which was much nicer in the weather department :) Loads of nice vehicles and even more stalls to part with the hard earned. So much so, after the last 2 weekends away I took advantage of the show special offer on a propex!! Guarenteed to keep the warm weather going!!! :) Also picked up another engine lid - mine is bowed and never looked right - so this is about to be sent off to be painted up and a repro westie stool for £40!! I did not bother to take any photos as I knew there would be loads on the forums (and better than ones I take!!! ). :lol:

Latest posts