New engine - hot weather or hot running? (spark plug pics included)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termite

Reaction score
So.. new engine built (by me), new everything bottom end (re-ground crank, re-bored case, new bearings), 1300 heads fly cut to 1600 and old original pistons/barrels rehoned.

I've covered nearly 400 miles on this engine and apart form the issue the other week about it cutting out from letting off the gas at high revs, it's been running fine. Plenty of pull etc.. and it'll cruise along at 60 happily (even having 70out of it at one point). Drove it for an hour or so Saturday to a wedding I was attending and it seemed to be very hot when I arrived. Hot enough that it was uncomfortable to hold the dipstick and things like the air filter pipe and even fuel lines felt warmer than normal. It was the same again when I drove it back yesterday. Now I know it was hot yesterday, but the nagging doubt I've done something wrong is kicking in.

As this is the first engine I've built, I don't think I am going to be able to trust myself until I have had an expert take a look at it, tell me it's all ok (or tune it if needed) and tell me to get on with driving and enjoying it! :mrgreen: With that in mind, I have booked it in to Autotechniks in Epsom to take a look at it in a couple of weeks (if anyone can tell me the actual address - PM me please, I forgot to ask them and will call them back nearer the time!

In the meantime, to get rid of the nagging paranoia that I am currently cooking and melting hundreds of hours slowly away, these are the colours of my spark plugs from number 4 and 2 cylinders. Do they look ok or do they look like they are running a bit on the lean side? I've done nearly 400 miles and I don't know how long it takes to start showing signs of what the engine is doing.

Any feedback appreciated as always :)

I think you might need to slow down a bit. Your engine will be running a little hotter just because it's new ish. But I'd slow down a bit because you really need to run an engine in for at least 500 miles and I would personally not hit the go faster pedal anything more than three quarters for at least a thousand miles. Everybody has their own ideas on running in a new engine, but sixty or seventy is not gonna do it any good anyway let alone just after a re build. New motors are or should be a little tighter because nothing is worn or sloppy, the barrel hone etc is just a little more resistant until it's run in. So slow down bud

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, plugs look pretty good seeing as it ain't run in yet. :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

70 was for a brief couple of seconds. It's usually going around 50-55 and never really pushing the pedal to the floor. However, maybe taking the lead out of the boots will be a better idea!

From reading the Wilson book, it said around 300 miles that the engine would be broken in, but maybe I am expecting a bit too much out of it/pushing it too hard.

Thanks for replying.

It's all about the ride man.
Enrich it a little and watch the temp go down as well.
You never know.

J & P
:D :D :D

I always hate playing around with carb settings.. So to enrich it it would be to undo the little screw a touch and leave the big screw well alone, or am I going to end up with idling issues?

And yes, this is coming from a person who has built an engine and is now bothered about two tiny screws! :mrgreen:

I think you got the idea now. Try getting some helium balloons about four or five of them and tie them to your big toe on your right foot :shock: ;) :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, enjoy the ride, :mrgreen:

I better make sure the string's short or it'll block my view :mrgreen:

And,,,,,,,, just to add a little spice, Senor Wiggy has posted something in General that virtually says give it welly from day one. Maybe I'm just too protective over these?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,who knows?? :lol:

The opportunity to go donw to cornwall for the first week of July has come up. For me that's 300 miles from my house. Would you drive it down there (without the lead boots) without having the Air/Fuel mixture checked out?

Ozziedog - I'll have to find that thread.

ozziedog said:
And,,,,,,,, just to add a little spice, Senor Wiggy has posted something in General that virtually says give it welly from day one. Maybe I'm just too protective over these?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,who knows?? :lol:

I ran it in for about 300 miles, changed the oil, had it jetted on a rolling road and then ragged it all the way to Belgium and back.
It's still going strong 12k miles later.

Get your mixture sorted, check the timing and valve clearances and replace the oil regularly. It's an engine, not a piece of china, just keep the revs up and don't lug along in 4th gear at 1500rpm.

Termite said:
The opportunity to go donw to cornwall for the first week of July has come up. For me that's 300 miles from my house. Would you drive it down there (without the lead boots) without having the Air/Fuel mixture checked out?

Ozziedog - I'll have to find that thread.

Now what's the worstest thing that can happen ? An indecent proposal from the big yellow taxi and that's it. Check your oil, check your fan belt and give it a good squeeze for good luck, pack some of your most favouritist oil for just in case, check you got the taxi numbers and off you go. The plugs don't look a million miles away from perfect. And you gotta try it out sometime. I know when mines a tad hot caus I can smell it, then I drop back 5 mph. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, just take it a little bit steady then. :mrgreen:

Latest posts