New exhaust recommendations for 1641cc engine?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
andyh said:
A5H said:
I've been running a Bluebird SS quiet pack for about 5 years, which I'm really happy with. But if I was buying a new exhaust today I would go down the Vintage Speed route :mrgreen:

I've just been on the phone to Bluebird and they no longer do the SS Single Quiet pack, just the stock style SS system. Stock system is apparently "much better for bottom end torque, right up to a 1776". Hmm...

I had one of those 'stock' stainless exhausts a few years ago and was not happy with it for two reasons

- it was too loud inside the van at around 60 mph
- the 90 degree bend on the rear rhs got mega hot - so much so that I feared it would overheat no 2 port.
- the tailpipe bracket kept cracking

Maybe they've changed the design now but I was not impressed!

JK or VS S/S quiet packs IMO are excellent quality and design.

philstar said:
aogrady said:
robjarman said:
did anyone use one of the stainless systems from VW Heritage yet?
see http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_act_shop.product_pID_56919726_lang_EN_country_GB.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it would seem to have the advantage of twin outlets from the backbox into a single bigger bore tailpipe, suitable for the bus - giving the same effect with reduced backpressure as Dirty Harry's modified Type 3 twin tailpipe system??
- does it??
many thanks for any info on this system
Rob

Hi,

I have this system, recently bought second hand, but not got round to fitting it at the moment, seems nice a nice box, and should be a improvement over stock probably, and no doubt better than my old rusty Empi thing, which still hasn't died after over 3 years use, and it was on the van when it came from the states.

The metal bracket that supports the tailpipe has cracked off, so needs a little weld, don't know if this fatigue is a common issue on this system? though the system is not shiney, and needs a machine polish, just a dull coulour, not sure what it looked like when new.

I'll let you know what it's like, but to be honest, it'll be a month or so till i get around to fitting it.

Cheers,

Alistair

Hey have you fitted this exhaust now? What is it like, are you pleased with it? Is it a decent quality, what sort of noise does it make? I have read through many exhaust posts but there isn't much information on this exhaust, but it's definitely one I would like to fit if I can find out more information.

Hi!

This is a old thread! :oops: to say, i still haven't fitted it, but my old empi is nearly dead, and i hope to get this done along with the Weber 34 ICT's by the end of May, so will let you know, keep your eyes peeled on my gallery, will update on there.

Cheers!

Alistair

I've just bought & fitted the same looking stainless exhaust from Bluebird Customs this week, looks very clean on the bus and a lot quieter than my old 4 into 1, which was also from Bluebird, it lasted 12 years...I wanted to go with Bluebird because of the quality of the last one was spot on...she doesn't drag her ass anymore over the speed bumps, she can now go over them with a wheel either side now, bit of a novelty at the moment :) also, I only need the stereo volume on 20 now instead of 30....
071d9e74.jpg

yes I bought the stainless stock style system from heritage - £220 - and have done over 3k miles since no problems - exhaust note is slightly more metallic sounding than the standard system - fitting was totally easy, everything lined up - only diff from stock is that the pre-heat exchanger pods on the exhaust pipes are not fitted so the heater only works from the main heat exchanges - made no real diff to the warmth in the cab - no noticeable performance diff...

cheers
Rob

Latest posts