newbie question about uk registering

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbott

Reaction score
got ourselves a 1970 westy bay from orlando,needs loads of welding then uk registering,do i need a `birth certifacate`to get age related plates?

Scampi said:
Not to sure but I think you may do yes!
Welcome to the forum and get some pics up of your van fella :wink:
I`m on jk as mr jb just sold our splitty to buy this bay :(

jonbott said:
got ourselves a 1970 westy bay from orlando,needs loads of welding then uk registering,do i need a `birth certifacate`to get age related plates?

If you contact VW UK they can write you a letter confirming the date of build or you can apply to the Wolfsburg museum for your birth certificate. The birth certificate is the better option as it will give you a lot of detailed info about your bus.

Scampi said:
Why the unhappy face?

You'll never look back now you have the bay 8) :lol:
we loved `wuzi` the splitty :(
one good thing is the parts prices of bays! 8) got pair of lights from jk for £40!I never even got wuzi`s lights converted!brakes were £55 each wheel cylinder(early splittys are expensive!) :roll:

speedwell68 said:
jonbott said:

If you contact VW UK they can write you a letter confirming the date of build or you can apply to the Wolfsburg museum for your birth certificate. The birth certificate is the better option as it will give you a lot of detailed info about your bus.
cheers

Not if you have the original log book with the first registration date on it from USA. I did mine without any hassle.

jonbott said:
Scampi said:
Why the unhappy face?

You'll never look back now you have the bay 8) :lol:
we loved `wuzi` the splitty :(
one good thing is the parts prices of bays! 8) got pair of lights from jk for £40!I never even got wuzi`s lights converted!brakes were £55 each wheel cylinder(early splittys are expensive!) :roll:

Slightly off topic, you can get brake hydraulics and shoes reconditioned for a fraction of the price of replacements. Our local motor factors does it through Ferodo.

http://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo%5Fhome/uk_reline.html

Done this last year, you will need the usa reg, import paper, uk mot & uk insurance before they will give you a reg, the only problem I did come across was using an MOT station that would accept a chassis tag as the reg number, it's not as bad as it sounds :) good luck

ianscooby said:
Done this last year, you will need the usa reg, import paper, uk mot & uk insurance before they will give you a reg, the only problem I did come across was using an MOT station that would accept a chassis tag as the reg number, it's not as bad as it sounds :) good luck

You don't need the US title docs, if you have the birth certificate, a letter from VW or a letter from an affiliated club confirming the date of manufacture.

we have a title doc and vat receipt maybe should got more info before we rushed in!hoping it`ll haven mot this week then the fun begins!I`ll try vw uk first or else I`ll be waiting ages

I just registered my EB, a california import.

First off I went on the DVLA website and applied for an Import Pack, takes about 10 days to arrive. All the info is in there about what you need to do.

Then pay a visit to your local DVLA office with the pack, and I also had with me the new MOT, insurance certificate (done on the chassis number), the Customs import sheet, and the original birth certificate.

You'll also need to take a proof of address with you, say your driving licence or utility bill, and a cheque for £50 to register the bus. (It was £38 but has just gone up....) They won't take credit cards. Be warned, they will keep ALL of these documents!

Also I was lucky, they didn't ask to inspect the bus, but sometimes they do.......

5 days later (!) I got all the documents back, except for the customs sheet. I also got a nice new tax disc and and new log book with my age related registration number (J plate). Whilst at the DVLA office I did have to ask them to send the birth certificate back to me though, as they initially said they were going to send it back to the States (?!).

If you look on the SSVC website, http://www.ssvc.org.uk, there are plenty of threads on there regarding this process if your stuck.

By the way.......I used http://www.american-number-plate.com to get the new plates made up, excellent service, and had the shiny new plates on my doormat within a week! They are the same company as craigsplates.com, who I've used in the past for UK black/silver plates.

Good luck!

Carole

got my van done last weds and tax disc etc arrived saturday 8)
needed the import papers something to show the age,i didn`t get a `birth certificate`

Latest posts