Newbie with lotsa questions..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfunkyfresh

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I got here from TLB and I have a shedload of questions I need to get answered before I jump into the depths of van/bus ownership..

1. Early or Late.. With regards to a daily driver, is there a massive difference in what you get for your money between the models?

2. Panel Van with camper conversion or camper. I love the look of the panel vans especially with sign writing on them, but I don't know if they have the same ability to host a bed, sink etc. The vehicle will be used as my daily spending weekends etc away.

3. Lowering. I know there are probably loads of guides but I am just confused and want some clarity, if I want to do low enough to look tidy but still have a decent ride what are my options, is it a shit or bust case of a new front beam etc, are there bolt on kits that everyone rates or a scale of what you can get away with before needing to tub and notch?

4. Mod cons. If I am going to use the wagon for a daily I know I am going to want some of the comforts I have now, I used to run a mk1 golf so appreciate what old vehicles are like but have a few questions on basics i.e. how bad are the brakes even if well looked after, is there a common conversion to make the best of the brakes? Wipers, what are they like as standard and are they any good in British weather. Heating, I know that you can get kit car heater systems which I have looked into, but how good are the heater systems if well looked after?

5. Finally, I am currently in Afghanistan and was hoping to get a vehicle when I get back from here, but the wedding costs seem to have run on and I will have to wait until I am out here next year. My question is, do you think its possible to pick up a panel/camper with an MOT on it for around 6K or am I barking? I am happy to replace sections over time but cannot afford to purchase a 'full project' so to speak as I don't have the workspace to strip back and weld.

I can wield a spanner and have a welder, I have some knowledge of bodywork too, so I am not scared to get stuck in, as long as I know what I am letting myself in for.

Hope you guys can help

Cheers

Whoa...too many questions, my head is about to explode. :lol:

Best to stick to just the one question/topic per thread on here.

Soooooo...which is the most urgent that you want help with first?

Regarding cost i bought a sid 69 from the us and total cost to get it here, mot'd and lowred was a little over £5k. If you are willing to bring one over then it is possible.

Shipping etc is a doddle so is registration

Drop us a pm if you want more details

J.

1) Always early! Never Late!

2) Panel vans are sick! Get One!

3) Slam the shit out of it! Link pin, adjustable spring plates, chassis notch and tub it!

4) Wear a coat if its cold ( thats what I do :D )

5) Lembo had a awesome panel for sale only £5500 so yes you can could get one.

Have fun.

superfunkyfresh said:
Hi Guys,

I got here from TLB and I have a shedload of questions I need to get answered before I jump into the depths of van/bus ownership..

1. Early or Late.. With regards to a daily driver, is there a massive difference in what you get for your money between the models?

Early of course - model difference yes a massive difference and costs are all over the place(not actually sure what your asking here)

2. Panel Van with camper conversion or camper. I love the look of the panel vans especially with sign writing on them, but I don't know if they have the same ability to host a bed, sink etc. The vehicle will be used as my daily spending weekends etc away.

If your wanting a daily then you'll probably feel more comfortable with a kombi or micro conversion

3. Lowering. I know there are probably loads of guides but I am just confused and want some clarity, if I want to do low enough to look tidy but still have a decent ride what are my options, is it a shit or bust case of a new front beam etc, are there bolt on kits that everyone rates or a scale of what you can get away with before needing to tub and notch?

You want to read and understand exactly what your after before posting that question

4. Mod cons. If I am going to use the wagon for a daily I know I am going to want some of the comforts I have now, I used to run a mk1 golf so appreciate what old vehicles are like but have a few questions on basics i.e. how bad are the brakes even if well looked after, is there a common conversion to make the best of the brakes? Wipers, what are they like as standard and are they any good in British weather. Heating, I know that you can get kit car heater systems which I have looked into, but how good are the heater systems if well looked after?

Nowt wrong with the brakes as long as you maintain them, wipers see brakes, heating see wipers but can be supplemented with secondary heating

5. Finally, I am currently in Afghanistan and was hoping to get a vehicle when I get back from here, but the wedding costs seem to have run on and I will have to wait until I am out here next year. My question is, do you think its possible to pick up a panel/camper with an MOT on it for around 6K or am I barking? I am happy to replace sections over time but cannot afford to purchase a 'full project' so to speak as I don't have the workspace to strip back and weld.

6K is a health budget for a panel, you can get a well spec'd westy requiring work at that bprice too, you'll be suprised whats about

I can wield a spanner and have a welder, I have some knowledge of bodywork too, so I am not scared to get stuck in, as long as I know what I am letting myself in for.

Hope you guys can help

Cheers

1. Early bay all the way.

2. Panel vans are cool as fook but don't make great campers in my opinion. Others will argue otherwise. If all you want is a bed to crash in at night than a panel van will suit just fine, but if you want a camper with table and cooking facilities than windows come in handy.

3. Do some research with the search function. Get an idea of what you would like to do and then ask some more questions.

4. If everything is in good order and running as it should then you should be fine. Get a bus first, then look at what mods you can make to improve it.

5. 6K is bordering on a bargain in the current market. Skimp on the wedding and invest a couple more K on something a little better. If you're not too scared to have a go you'll be allright.

Good luck with the hunt

Latest posts