Nick's Crossover Cali Riviera Camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some new tips for the welder, so pressed on despite the lurgy. Finished the windscreen pillars and flange (fnaaar) and the a-pillar fold. I spot welded the indicator plates over the high level holes that I'll not be using, and welded up the gap between the bottom of the airbox hole and new front panel (behind the lower edge of the grille). Had to knock it on the head then as I got fed up with sneezing inside my welding mask. :-(
Just got the lower front panel to do and that's the front end pretty much sorted.

Hi again, big push now to get the bus road legal. I still have to finish the front, put an engine in, fix the front brakes and replace the battery tray. I have been having a good go at the front and now fancied a change, so I am having a shot at replacing the battery tray. It seems to be normal procedure to cut off the lower corner when replacing the battery tray, but the rear lower corner on this crossover is in pretty good condition. As I have read that the original crossover corners are difficult to get as the lowest bit is a different shape to a late bay panel, I will be replacing the tray without removing the outer corner. On with the pics:
IMG_0752.jpg
Here's the remains of the majority of the battery tray. I cut it out in two pieces and left a half inch lip of the old panel attached to the inside of the outer corner.
IMG_0753.jpg
It still needs a bit of tidying at the wheelarch end but you get the idea.
IMG_0755.jpg
The only bit of work needed on the outside is a couple of minor repairs, and replacement of the brittle old back light backings. I'll do these once the tray has been fitted. The tray will be trimmed down so the remaining lip of the old tray can be seam welded ont the trimmed part of the new one.

Hi all. im the new owner of Nicks Riviara!! if u were following nicks progress then u will be happy to know im keeping up the good work.

oh Nick. one word for u "doremobile"... the T4 sounds a lot more fun than spending all summer in a garage. i bet ur happy u have that awning tent now ;)

Latest posts