No gears... Advice please...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

our bus 68

Reaction score
My bus has been having issues with difficult gear selection for a while, especially first gear. Back in the winter I went to pull away at traffic lights to find I had no drive in first or second gear. Third and fourth still worked fine. When I got it home I then lost third and fourth too...

I've just looked underneath now expecting a broken coupling but it all seems to be ok and moves when the gear stick is moved. I'm totally lost now..

Any advice please.

Rob

How is the clutch bowden tube and cable?
Get the bus up in the air on axle stands and get someone to operate the clutch pedal whilst you watch the gearbox end
You should see full deflection on the clutch arm attached to the gearbox - if the cable has stretched you will have to tighten the cable.
If all is good after that the only thing to do is drop the engine out and inspect the bellhousing paying attention to the release bearing, actuating arm and on the engine the pressure plate.

Before you remove the engine check the simple stuff first. Are the gear stick bolts tight? Loose bolts can make the stick base move when changing gear giving crappy selection. (Happened to me), especially common with EMPI shifters (due to the spacer).

Also adjusting the gearstick even a few MM either way and retightening the bolts can make all the difference.

Rubbish selection is one thing but no drive as described above when in gear sounds slightly more worrying than a quick adjustment of the stick or a slack bushes.
If you have the engine off, select 1st gear and turn the engine over does the bus lurch forward? ie gear is engaged?
Obviously do this with plenty of space infront of the bus - alternatively select a gear with the engine off and try to physically push the bus - should stay put if the gearbox is engaged

Cheers guys. I did still have gear selection but nothing when lifting the clutch when 1st and 2nd weren't working. But after reversing I then lost everything but the gear selection felt obstructed some how. That's why I first thought the coupling had broken and jammed.

I'll have a go at starting it in gear once I've charged up the battery and it's not raining. I think I'll be dropping the engine out anyway considering how easy they are to do and to check it all. After all the awkward first gear selection to start with is probably part of the reason...

Check the grub screw on the coupler in front of the trans - if loose it will cause your symptoms. Ideally it should be wired in place as per factory. Also check that the shifter is firmly bolted in place as Webbaldo says before getting in any deeper.

Hi Rob, I've just experienced something very similar to your 'no gears' problem and was just about to post when I found yours whilst searching.
I'm having to go the route of getting a garage to take a look but was hoping to get some idea from the forum as to what may have caused this to happen. If you see this would it be possible to get an update if you managed to find out what caused your problem? Thanks.

Latest posts