Not Early Bay but.......Type 3 Squareback

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seamus1982

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Not been on for a long time as been travelling around Australia. In perth for the next 6 months now and been looking at cheap, sensible cars. Then a Type 3 came up and looks interesting. I know not sensible and will need maintaining, but hey, it's a cool car! So, I'm going to go and have a nose at it and see what the story is. Anyone got one, or any advice on main issues, rust areas or the like?

Thanks

Got to love a Type 3 :) - my brother had a slammed fastback until recently - from memory it's the airbox job at the front you need to watch out for as they are a pig to weld up (water gets in and they rot through - directly under the bonnet vents infront of the screen) - and don't think you can get floors for them anymore, and would need to fabricate Ghia ones to fit so something to bear in mind - that's all I can remember :roll:

What year is it? Also sure things like seats are rare (but mx5 seats fit e.t.c.)

I just recently bought one. Mine needed a motor and we are still working on putting one together, so sadly I can't say anything about how they are. I've just been taking the red paint off and going back to orange.

Before,

After,

Main rust areas are as said, fresh air box, and front inner wings at the top by the fuel filler and the same position on the other side, front bumper mounts, spare wheel well, sills, sill extensions (bottom of the rear inner wings), rear corners/seatbelt mounts, C pillars, bonnet front edge.

Apart from that, they are fantastic cars, drive so nicely compared to a beetle. I miss my fastback. :(

Thanks all for the advice. They are a nice looking car. Unfortunately the fella hasn't got back to me, he's only listed an email so I can't even call him. Assuming he didn't really want to sell in the first place! There's a fastback up for about the same price, but it's been painted matte black and bogan'd up, so am assuming its riddled with issues. May have a little look anyway though

Latest posts