Our 71 Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just added a couple of shots of my finished Westy trailer lid. Just in time for the trip to Big Bang tomorrow.

DSCN3777.jpg

DSCN3780.jpg

Thanks to Marcher and Clyde for the pictures and dimesions :D

Thanks Jon,

Took it to Big Bang and had a great weekend. Met a few of the other Earlybayers, during the line up. Cool to see so many in the line up.

Cali_bay said:
Thanks Jon,

Took it to Big Bang and had a great weekend. Met a few of the other Earlybayers, during the line up. Cool to see so many in the line up.

nice to meet you, think i waved back when you waved at us on ur way out

was a bit nackered :lol:

Just completed my 12V and 240V install this weekend. Baiscally a copy of Jon's (faux) install. It's a great set-up, without having to cut any of the interia. 8)

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Bloody knackered now though, can't remember how may times I was in, out and under the bus. :roll:

Managed to squeeze in a 110Ah battery.

02082009013.jpg

02082009016.jpg

Managed to take the 240V and 12V cables up though two existing hols that VW kindly left in the floor just in front of the wheel arch. Had to enlarge them a little to allow the fitment of rubber grommets.

02082009018.jpg

Now see it!
02082009014.jpg

Now you Don't!
02082009020.jpg

Now we can have a few creature comfort :D .

Looks great Si.

I take it as a compliment, but I'm sure someone did it before me and is cursing my audacity :mrgreen: .

You can go and enjoy the power now.

Jon

canterburyfour said:
Very Nice! I thought that 71 still has small tail lights and an upright motor?

Your talking model year, this would be classed as a '72 model year but was manufactured in '71

cyberdyne systems said:
canterburyfour said:
Very Nice! I thought that 71 still has small tail lights and an upright motor?

Your talking model year, this would be classed as a '72 model year but was manufactured in '71

Yes tis true she is a '72 model CO, but was manfactured in Oct 71.

P.s. Should of cleaned the finger prints off the sockets before I took the pictures :oops: :oops:

PetrolHead said:
Cali_bay said:
Hi,

Its a sealey Motor cycle jack, makes it a whole lot easier removing/installing the engine. No balancing on a trolley jack. :)

Sounds like a much better option 8)

Is it this one?

http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/Motorcycle-Quad-Lift-550kg-Hydraulic-Sealey-MC480

Do they fit right under enough to reach the central balance point, or does the engine tend to tip backards?
Or do you need to take off the exhaust to get that far under?

Cheers, J :)

Yes that the one I got, bought it from an ebay shop for about £65 though. It does fit under with the exhaust on. I also used a bit of ply on top to help get the engine level.

Latest posts