Pickin Up my '70 westy on Friday

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58herbie

Reaction score
Off on a mamoth Journey on Friday, Leaving home around 4am to go to Gillingham to collect van from shippers warehouse, gettin lift down with old fella to Luton then train to Gillingham then all being well drive the van back up to Carlisle..will be a real test for it as its about a 8 hour journey..had it in vw shop in the states before it set sail for here so all should be well...

fingers crossed,anybody else driven there bus back on the states plates etc.

Jon

8)

Sounds like an adventure...

I'd book it in for an MOT on the same day - it is legal to drive it on the roads if you're booked in, but you must have insurance of course (also, I'm not sure you'll get away with booking it in 8 hours away, perhaps you could book a few?...).

I've never picked up a bus from the docks myself - but I'd advise wrapping up warm and taking your time...

;)

have it insured on the chassis number and still have the states plates on, would of thought this would cover me as how many oversea's cars are there overhere now driving about on our roads, and will more layers on than an onion

I picked mine up from the docks , and the shippers had syphoned all fuel off , so may be idea to take some with you , Like Juss says wrap up warm :shock:
Lots of people rock round on Cali plates a guy in Ipswich drives his Split pick up all the time on USA plates .I drove on my Portugese plate for a month just cause i could not bear to wait to drive the van 8)

this is the westy,

1738592.jpg

will take better pics friday

I drove mine from Devon back to Hereford when i picked her up. I then also drove her around for a couple of weeks on US plates, like Grazy I couldn't wait to get behind the wheel!!

Exactly the same as mine :) Ive driven a couple home from Kent to Cornwall both insured on the chassic Nos , first time insurance company said it was OK , the secound time it wasnt legal :roll:
When I broke down on the M25 the traffic police turned up, I explained they situation and offered to show them the Doc`s that I had with me , they were more interested in that the AA was on the way .
Frankly I think its a bit of a grey area {insurance } but I took a chance .
I took some basic tools with me and a few spares , and if I were you this time of year some Thermal underware , very few dry state vans have heating that works . Good Luck Chris

Is that Gillingham Kent or Gillingham Dorset?

If it's Kent feel free to stop by for a cuppa. :D

I insured the beetles I imported from Hungary using the chassis number and didnt have any problems.
As well as driving to an MOT I believe you are also allowed to drive an imported vehicle from the point of entry to your place of residence. I did have a leaflet somewhere that explained it all, although this was a few years ago.

Well made it back with no problems and a big thanks to Jabbo top bloke,

gave me a lift to docks and supplied the coffee and somewhere to sort the faulty lights, and nice to meet Mrs Jabbo too

Thanks

Jon

58herbie said:

gave me a lift to docks and supplied the coffee and somewhere to sort the faulty lights, and nice to meet Mrs Jabbo too

Thanks

Jon

:oops:

No worries dude, it was a pleasure. Glad to have been of service.

Now hurry up and get some pics up! :lol:

jabbo said:
58herbie said:

Thanks

Jon

:oops:

No worries dude, it was a pleasure. Glad to have been of service.

Now hurry up and get some pics up! :lol:

whs