Possible windscreen leak

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mags

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completed my resto last year which included a new front panel and the upper part of the inner front panel as well. I was particularly careful when reaplacing metal around the windscreen aperture as I didn't want to mess up the shape/hole size and have windscreen fitting issues or leaks (ironically!)
So when I replaced the inner panel I cut one side at a time so I could ensure the aperture was kept the right size like this:
DSCN4707.jpg

DSCN4712.jpg

And the front panel I didn't have a lot of choice with as its same one we all end up using as a new panel.
When it rains I am getting water collecting and dripping down from the far corners of the inner panel where it curves out to meet the A post. I have also noticed that it looks like the water is travelling along the L shaped bracket the dash top panel screws into which is higher than the washer jet and wiper holes leading me to think the water has to be coming through the windscreen rubber?
I have noticed water tracks that run along the top of the cold air box and down the side which could be wipers/washers or screen as the L shape bracket is in two parts as you can see in this pic:

image4-2_zpstc3malca.jpg

The screen is new and the rubber is a VWH German quality one, it was fitted when I had new headlining installed and they used Waxoil within the rubber, it looks to be a very good fit with absolutely no sign of any water leak that I can see at all.
So, I'm thinking I have to remove the dashboard and pour water over the front to see where the water is getting in, I'm not keen on doing this but the thought of my 5 years of restoration getting ruined by a flippin water leak is keeping me awake at night. I thought I'd ask for any other thoughts or if anyone has had this before I do it and to check I'm not barking up the wrong tree?
If water does get in via the washer jets or wiper spindles (which I have now siliconed around just to be sure) does it get trapped in between the inner/outer panel and cold air box?
I think the washers and wiper spindles are fine now so I need to understand how water is running along the upper dash support brackets.

Any help appreciated as at the moment I'm working out when I can pull the dash and maybe the windscreen to ensure it hasn't started to rust etc.

Thanks

Mags

Hi
Before you go taking out your dash and windscreen, why not try and seal the rubber with some window seal, i used this stuff on my other vehicle (BMW Isetta Bubble Car) this had new seals but they leaked used this stuff worked perfect, it has a very thin nozzle so you can get under the window rubber then just wipe off the excess
hope this helps (It says gasket seal on the tube but it is also used for sealing windows)

let me know how you get on

Thanks Vinvan

Mine is currently leaking after refitting a new screen and rubber, I've been advised to use non setting windscreen sealer and run a bead between the glass and rubber ;)

Oh no! I also added a sealer between the rubber and the body ... but only along the top and A pillars. I have had no problems since repairing the rotten metal and reinstalling the original windscreen with new German rubber. If water ever does get in from the top you might want to leave some gaps, or the entire bottom, without sealant so water may have an exit other than into your bus or trapped to rust your new metal. Good luck!

Mine originally leaked in a similar place to yours, near to where the fuse box should be. I took the window out and repaired the lip, although only replacing the centre section so the corners are original. When I put the window back in with one of the extra soft seals from JK I found the seal didn't really seal on both lower corners, I assumed the glass must be slightly the wrong shape and used a PU sealant behind the seal to make sure its water tight.
It will probably be a massive pain to take out if I needed to; I would have to cut around the seal to break the sealant bond but it definitely doesn't leak!

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

That sounds like terrible luck. A little system I used to use to prove where roofs were leaking was to use a very small water can and concentrate on one small area at a time. With this I would use a water can made out of an old milk bottle with a biro screwed into the upper bit about an inch from the top, leave the top on and you`ll have to squeeze to get a small fine jet. Double check your airbox for leaks first but you`ll need some one gently pouring water on and you`ll need to be inside watching for it, failing that , use kitchen Roll and wet for a bit then check for moisture on the kitchen towel. Work your way gradually upwards and side to side until you find it. Once you`ve found the spot or spots that are leaking, dry it all as much as you can then seal the exact spot or spots with cling film just to double prove that you have found it. Then work out what is wrong, is it metal work ? is it glass ? Is it rubber or a combination of two or three things . Cling film will seal most things for a little while as a temporary fix or just to prove where the leak is.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good luck bud :mrgreen:

Had a similar issue post-restoration, and found that the leak was at the top of the screen, not at the bottom. Gravity had me fooled.

I teased a fine amount (don't overdo it) of Arbormast screen sealant under the rubber all around the top and sides of the screen and have never had a problem since. For good measure I sealed around the screen washer jets too, just in case.

Kev

Thanks for all the responses. I've not had a real chance to investigate further yet but aim it do it this weekend. Is it wise to squirt a sealant around the seal when water has already made its way through? I was worried I could end up trapping moisture, albeit a small a mount I suppose.
Would it be mad of me to get a new screen seal, pop the screen and refit using a sealer? I know it is extra work but at least I would get a chance to check there is no damage yet and clean up if required.

Mags said:
Thanks for all the responses. I've not had a real chance to investigate further yet but aim it do it this weekend. Is it wise to squirt a sealant around the seal when water has already made its way through? I was worried I could end up trapping moisture, albeit a small a mount I suppose.
Would it be mad of me to get a new screen seal, pop the screen and refit using a sealer? I know it is extra work but at least I would get a chance to check there is no damage yet and clean up if required.
Yeah I guess new seal and sealant covers all bases. Just make sure its a decent quality seal and then your unlikely to have any issues in the future! Just be careful removing and replacing the window so it doesn't get smashed. Is it a laminated screen or a tempered glass one?

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

Latest posts