Project DC - 4 door dual cab with a couple extra cylinders

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dasdubber

Reaction score
Hi….thought I'd share one of our current restorations with you.

I run DAS Resto Haus - a VW restoration shop on the Gold Coast in Australia….this 71 Dual Cab project was the idea of an owner who wanted an old styled 'ute' (what we call a pickup) but with all the mod cons and handling/performance of a new car. Full gallery is on my site for anyone interested (http://www.dasrestohaus.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Without rambling on much more here is what we started with:
Mar189_zps1a417e9b.jpg

Mar181_zpsf6db2e4b.jpg

Mar185_zps0573855c.jpg

Mar187_zpsc887d1c2.jpg

Cheers. Al

Nice Doka 8)

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with :mrgreen:

This thing was destined to be torn down to its bare bones given the brief of the project and the importance to get the panels super straight. So off with the nose:

Apr191_zps808b96ea.jpg

As usual rotten a-pillars and inner valance:
Apr192_zps0a77aff4.jpg

The D-pillar (passenger side) had received a big whack at some stage and rather than fixing it properly, someone decided just to plate over it with a second skin
Apr196_zpse51e3cc8.jpg

Apr1910_zps636b4a52.jpg

Both doglegs were to come off and be replaced with Klassic Fab units:
Apr201_zpsd4a902c8.jpg

Lower a-pillars needed replacing as well
Apr202_zps1a5a3835.jpg

Rear tubs were knackered so the call was made to remove and replace them as well
Apr209_zps3a97cc2b.jpg

The deeper we dig, the more work we find (like all resto's!)
Apr263_zps7d027c08.jpg

New Klassic Fab cab floor to come
Apr265_zps71de511e.jpg

Rear pillars were knackered as well
Apr221_zps5ece13a5.jpg

Off to blasting
May101_zpsdfea213d.jpg

May102_zpsa2aafd71.jpg

Post blasting things always look a little better (but certainly reveals exactly how much work is ahead)

Jul221_zps00e6e08b.jpg

Jul222_zps4f2fccf4.jpg

Jul224_zpse6d9407c.jpg

Jul226_zpsd2096a8a.jpg

Time to start cutting:
Jul233_zpsfee97c1a.jpg

To make way for this:
Jul231_zps9d8c5506.jpg

After lots of research and talking to our gearbox builder, it was decided an 091 bus box would be mated to the 3.2L Porsche engine….it will have full Albins (weddle) internals and super diff. Whilst it will not withstand 3rd gear burnouts or drag race starts, the owner was happy to compromise some sensible driving to save a load of funds on buying/rebuilding/installing a G50 or 915 box.
Jul232_zps27c22a2d.jpg

Very cool, looking forward to this. You mentioned 4 door, are you adding a crewcab door on t'other side?

Resto-raider said:
Nice resto. I clicked on the link to your website but it doesn't work.

Sorry mate, not sure what is happening there?
Try this one:
http://dasrestohaus.com.au/gallery2/main.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neilswheels, you are right, an additional cargo door and aperture has been added on the right side of the DC behind the drivers door. Funny enough, the LHD cargo door was originally on a LHD scrapped DC here in Australia which was then shipped to the UK, and then I bought the door from the UK and had it shipped back to Australia! Not sure where it came from originally :)

More pics to come of that modification which was very time consuming!

When mocking up the Porsche engine mated to the 2L bus box using a late bay gearbox top mount, two issues arose - one was the firewall/tranny hump was in the way, and two, engine to ground clearance was very limited if the box was mounted in the factory position.

Jul247_zps5750b309.jpg

As a result, a 2 inch tranny raise was implemented - front torsion housing mount was left in situ and the actual bolt on mount modded?the rear tranny hanger was then set 2 inches higher up on the chassis

Jul254_zpscccae10d.jpg

Jul252_zps89d686ca.jpg

Jul2510_zps47b316be.jpg

Jul2515_zps73c92da4.jpg

Jul258_zps0377261f.jpg

Lots of small rust repairs to go along with the major panel replacements
Jul262_zpse1e41e92.jpg

Jul263_zps50e83323.jpg

Jul2613_zps0e8d6068.jpg

The left side D-pillar had received a big whack at some stage and needed replacement. Since no repro panels were available Barry (my head fabricator) had to rebuild it from scratch. Of course its Murphy's law that two weeks after we finished the repair, a NOS left side early bay D-pillar came up for sale in Australia! Grrr! If only it was listed a couple months earlier!

Jul268_zpsf7e83e75.jpg

Jul304_zps9be8f0ae.jpg

Jul303_zps268e13de.jpg

Jul307_zps8cb18bf1.jpg

G'day Al, It PorscheKombi here from Aussievedubbers/kombi forum. Glad you made it over to this forum. You will get a lot of support and advice on this forum.

I'm liking the look of the project!

Out of interest, having carried out the whole porsche transplant myself, and gone down the 091 g/box route. I am surprised that the owner didnt want to go for the 5-speed option that is a G50/915 box. If I were to do it again, I think I would definitely opt for a 5 speed - mind you I only had my 3rd and 4th gear made taller. As a result, my 1st gear is pretty much non existant! Also, it looks like you have already had to raise the g/box for ground clearance. How much extras work would it have been to fit the 5 speed? as for cost, a ful rebuild on a 091 wouldnt be that cheap and the high resale value of the 091 could be used to offset against the cost of a G50/915 box.

I think that this may still be an option for me, but much further down the line.

Only my two cent worth...I look forward to seeing progress!

NaFe

Awesome project and some great metal work,

be cool if he does run it down a track when it's done:

http://www.ultimatestreetbays.co.uk/rules.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Open to anyone worldwide that can run a sub 18 Second 1/4 mile :D

just been through all the pics on your link to your site the work is superb. I am starting my crewcab resto this year after spending last year sourcing lots of panels, this is costly before you even start the work as i have got as many nos ones as i can. Seeing what is behind the other skin on those pickup only areas is good and gives me an idea of what to expect. keep up the good work and keep updating the pics 8)

Hi Al welcome aboard and thanks for the pics.

I'm stunned how Oz's best and busiest restorer has time for yet another forum. :lol: Loving the work as always. 8)

Thanks guys, much appreciated. NaFe, we did consider the G50 quite carefully, but the tranny raise was achieved just with mods on the front mount (and we had to graft in the bay window rear mount hanger anyway so adjusting the height of that was easy. No mods to the actual torsion housing which saved a lot of time. Time will tell if the custom gear set will suffice!

Our customer actually lives in the UK, but resides in Oz for a couple months each year, and like many others from ole blighty, intends to move over here more permanently in due course! :)

Given the custom theme of the DC, Baz fabricated a new firewall and tranny hump from scratch and bead rolled some swages for strength and function (air flow - more info shortly)

Jul311_zps18f658f3.jpg

Jul313_zps7d9efe91.jpg

Air ducts will be fed via sub cargo floor scoops
Jul318_zps5fc5b6b9.jpg

Aug11_zpsbca5318b.jpg

Part of the original tranny hump was retained and mated to the new section
Aug76_zpseb8afdd8.jpg

New tubs…
Aug73_zpsef5b9c81.jpg

Cargo floor was in fairly good shape apart from some rust under tank area so some new sections were welded in with the centre being left open for shift rod raise.

Aug713_zps46d92314.jpg

Splitty tank separation strips were modified and used to retain stock tank separation panels
Aug145_zps3b950a45.jpg

Shift rod cover under raised tank
Aug151_zps0df956d1.jpg

The thin flimsy Brazilian noses have the raised centre section for the emblem which we wanted to delete….and of course are for later high light bays so this needed modification too
Aug154_zpsc75d957a.jpg

Aug191_zpsab5bc7fc.jpg

Mockup on the DC - a lowlight lower nose had to be fitted as well but the repro items don't come with the indicator housings
Aug198_zps3b3be4ba.jpg

One original was good, the other knackered….so only the brackets were salvageable and the housing had to be fab'ed from scratch
Aug273_zpsec65d5f5.jpg

During butt welding
Aug275_zps22c2f9ea.jpg

Latest posts