Propex heater installation

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed71

Reaction score
I'm installing a Heatsource Propex on Saturday to my '71 Bus. The place suggested by the installation manual is in the rock&roll bed storage area. Uncertain if I should be concerned as it means the propane gas bottle will have to be in there too, so it'll be near to the engine bay which can make the bed storage area hot/warm when driving. Am I concerned unnecessarily? - any advice welcomed....
Cheers, Ed

It'll be fine.
Just remember to drill a hole in the floor to let any gas that escapes out of the van.

Just to put it in perspective, you have a 60 litre petrol tank and a bulkhead between the engine and the bed storage.

Hi, I have often thought about fitting a propex heater... what size propane gas bottle are you going to fit under the rock and roll bed? and any idea how long it would last??
Cheers.

The small propex bottle won't fit under the Westy bed.
I originally put my bottle in the wardrobe but am now moving it to the buddy seat so I can have a drop out hole and with a small mod to the seat I will be able to use the next size up in bottles.

I wonder if because it's under the bed It's stays slightly warmer.
I used it a few winters ago with the bottle in my wardrobe and it wouldn't fire up.

Hi,

My propex is under the bed, and the gas bottle it under the buddy seat, I use a blue calor gas 4.5kg bottle, fits in just height wise.

http://www.calor.co.uk/4-5kg-butane-gas-bottle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All my propex install on my build thread.

Alistair

I use a propane bottle stored where the chiller box used to be in my Devon. There was already a hole on the floor for the sink outlet and cooker drain so just used a 90 degree angle pipe to stop water coming in.

ysy9uju8.jpg

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

aogrady said:
Hi,

My propex is under the bed, and the gas bottle it under the buddy seat, I use a blue calor gas 4.5kg bottle, fits in just height wise.

http://www.calor.co.uk/4-5kg-butane-gas-bottle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, didn't realise you could use such a small bottle... will have to seriously think about fitting a propex heater now. Dave.

Thanks for he replies, didn't get it done on Saturday but better prepared for next weekend now!
Cheers
Ed

Im about to tackle installing mine, some useful info here. If there is any other hints/tips/tricks to follow, please dont be shy in pointing them out ;)

--------------------------------------Own a Bay?....... Feel the love!

I'm thinking about the new external one and duct to windscreen and rear of the bus. I got J Tubes on my motor so no free heat!!! Haven't heard any reviews on these as yet though!! HS2211 is the model I think!!

Make sure you have all the cutting tools required and that they are sharp, you don't want to be sliding around when trying to cut the holes in your floor for the exhaust and inlet !!!

Foz said:
Im about to tackle installing mine, some useful info here. If there is any other hints/tips/tricks to follow, please dont be shy in pointing them out ;)

--------------------------------------Own a Bay?....... Feel the love!

Measure thrice, drill once for the two external pipes.....

Try and locate the end of the inlet pipe under the van in a reasonably easily accessible place as you have to occassionally blow up it with an air line to clear a sensor of dust. Well I do anyway, especially if it isn't used for a while. This is a Propex fix not mine, I rang them up..When the light on the controller flashes four times...

sacramentobay said:
aogrady said:
Hi,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, didn't realise you could use such a small bottle... will have to seriously think about fitting a propex heater now. Dave.

Yeah, think it's the smallest calor do, fits fine, though some people use the campingaz 907 as it's more available abroad, though more expensive to fill up in the UK Think it's a propane/butane mix too......

Alistair

Fitted loads of these...

The kit will come with all the destructions you need, even a template for the inlet/exhaust holes..

remember that if you plan to use this whilst travelling the inlet/exhaust must face rearward and the exit points must be a certain distance apart..

ideally its far safer if you can put the gas bottle in a self contained area and always have drop vent nearby, a buddy seat or bottom of cupboard area is good, I always run hard pipes for the gas unless the distance from bottle to unit is under a metre and change the rubber hose every couple of years...

its pretty easy to do, have a decent hole cutter at hand, its worth the £20 for a good one to cut thru in no time rather than messing about with rubbish cheap blunt hole cutters..

any Q's just ask ;)

Latest posts