Quick paint question - please help!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fortunate Son

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drivers side mirror on my mk 5 golf was taken clean off by a large piece of timber that fell off a wagon yesterday :evil: . I have bought a complete New one from Euro Car Parts (saving 90 quid over genuine) but the plastic housing comes in primer. Will this accept standard rattle can paint (cellulose?) or do I need acrylic paint or a special primer first? Colour is candy white. Any advice very gratefully received. Cheers, Andy

You'l fine to put the paint straight onto it, you'll need to key up the primer first though to ensure the paint adheres to it. use a minimum of 400grit paper or so as not to put deep scratches into the primer, 2-3 light coats and you should be ok.

If I were doin that with an aerosol I'd key it with a dry grey scotchbrite, then spray 2 or 3 coats on whilst heating it with a heat gun , from a safe distance, you don't want to melt it!!!
Leave it till tomorrow wet flat with 800' then another 2 or 3 coats, leave it another day then 2000 and compound it by hand!!!

Your local Bodyshop would probably lash it for you for £10/£20 !!???

The primer they come in is really thin usually so you'll probably burn through it when your prepping. Would make sense to get some high build primer on there. P600 is right for prepping for topcoat. 400 is a bit too rough and there is a chance you'll see some prep marks.

DON'T SPRAY AND HEATGUN AT THE SAME TIME! Flammable substance coming out of an aerosol, heat source....flame thrower.

:lol:
Should have wrote heat gun between coats I suppose :lol:

Don't want any flamethrowering gan on !!!!!

Prof Wheeto - when you say high build primer - I have some of this stuff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIMONIZ-SPRAY-PUTTY-500ML-SPRAY-PAINT-PRIMER-LARGE-CAN-HIGH-BUILD-FORMULA-/140697012640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- will this do or do I need something else? Also am I right in thinking rattle cans these days are all acrylic based paint and not cellulose? (I have very vague recollections of spraying cellulose paint on plastic years ago and the plastic kind of melting!! - I think I am a bit behind the times with paint technology!! :oops: Thanks in advance, Andy

The majority are 1k acrylics but you can get custom mixed cans too so you can get solvent basecoat, 2 pack direct gloss etc

This is the product I'd prefer to use when needing high build in a whizz can
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-XL-Super-High-Build-Primer-500-ml-Aerosol-GREY-Professional-Quality-SMART-/230934386841?pt=UK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item35c4c31899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts