rear end lowering - differences between early and late bay?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loxy

Reaction score
I have read on a couple of forums that the number of splines on the rear torsion bars changed in 72 therefore lowering an early bay one spline will be different to lowering a late bay one spline, can anyone confirm that this is correct and what date did the changeover occur?

I have a 72 crossover (Built on 5th June 72) that I have lowered one spline at the rear, but it doesnt seem to have dropped much - roughly 2inches, unfortunately didnt count how many outer splines it has at the time.
running standard 14" rims with standard tyres on rear (185/80/14) the bottom edge of the wheel arch is about 1-1 1/2 inches above the rim.

So does a 72 crossover have the early or late torsion bars?
will it be ok to lower another spline? or will I run into clearance problems?

any help much appreciated.

without cuting your plates i think 1 spline is as far as you can go.

they defo changed the amount of splines but when im not sure. i think the earlys had more splines but again dont quote me on it.

i also belive there are more splines one end than anouther so rotating the inner round will lower it different to rotating the outer

I understood the difference was between type4 engined vans and type 1 engined vans, not strictly a 'year' thing (other than type4's being introduced from 72).
The lowering amounts to the same, on the understanding that original engines are fitted, its a minute difference, anyway.

Either can be lowered one or two splines without hassle. Two will mean difficulty changing rear wheels, but otherwise ok.

Latest posts